an altogether higher class of gibbonindex
Catching up again. Sunday is imminent. Have some links!
Bonus Disappointing Robots corner:
- Robot Shaming - unlike 'pet shaming', robots don't have feelings. They hate it when you anthropomorphise them.
Stuck behind a really slow internet connection. Please accept some text-only links:
- Namie, Fukishima Prefecture, Japan - the world has a new Pripyat with the evacuated lands around the Fukushima nuclear power station. Perhaps politically motivated, a Google Street View car has been let loose on the roads of one particular town. Effectively abandoned, the dereliction ranges from the occasional earthquake-damaged building in the town to a scoured, apocalyptic coastline. Grim viewing.
- Baking a Hello World Cake - there's an esoteric programming language named Chef, which visually mimics cooking recipes. Unfortunately, the usual 'Hello World Soufflé' contains such unlikely ingredients as six gallons of oil and a hundred eggs - so one hero decided to design a functioning chocolate cake recipe as an alternative...
- Escape crew capsule - for when an ejector seat isn't enough. The accompanying photo of a capsule from a B-58 Hustler is a thing straight from science fiction.
- New York City Transit Authority Graphics Standards Manual - need to design yourself a '70s subway station, complete with fully authentic typography? Here you are. via locworks
Bonus Rampant Spoilers section:
Today's somewhat abbreviated Things has been slightly delayed due to finishing Bioshock Infinite. Oops. Mini-review: excellent. Also, people claiming the ending doesn't make sense? Amateurs. Any fan of Fringe would follow it just fine...
Bonus Would Give Cyriak Nightmares corner:
- Man Spaghetti - contains neither man nor spaghetti. Utterly surreal, disturbing animation. via b3ta