an altogether higher class of gibbonindex
Last article of 2012! At this rate, I need to extend the archives to split things into separate years - fifty articles in just over six months? Not bad going...
Bonus Audio Extravaganza corner:
- The Infinite Monkey Cage - how did I completely miss this? Science and comedy from BBC Radio Four, with my usual allergy to Brian Cox relieved thanks to Robin Ince and guests mercilessly taking the mickey.
- Ambient background noise in the International Space Station - in space, no-one can hear you do pretty much anything. I SAID, NO-ONE CAN HEAR YOU DO ANYTHING. NO, ANYTHING. YES. SIGH. via
- Doctor Who theme as you've never heard it before - stick with it. Somehow, it keeps getting worse.
posted in Links by Cargo Cult on Sunday December 23 2012
So, the Mayan apocalypse turned out to be deeply disappointing - and the anniversary of the birth of Sir Isaac Newton isn't quite upon us. Ignoring calendrical differences for the latter, obviously. So what else do we have?
The Sunday Things.
Bonus Merry Christmas! corner:
posted in Links by Cargo Cult on Sunday December 16 2012
A Sunday Things with a cohesive theme! That's not space! But lots of weird-looking planes instead, courtesy of Wikipedia's list of experimental aircraft. Here are a few picks:
Bonus Yet More Funny Planes corner:
- SNECMA Coléoptère - tail-sitting, dangerously French wonder. Even more dangerous - the prototype for this prototype.
- Antonov A-40 - a Soviet attempt at strapping wings on to a tank. No, really. Trust the Ukrainians to lift giant heavy objects into the air...
- Vought V-173 - a flying disc! The annoyingly-low-resolution underside view looks like an incredible alternate future...