MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Science of the Half Life Universe
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:05 pm 
Petitioner

This is semi-related; for a good explanation of the difference between dimensions and universes (or realties), there's an episode of Stargate SG-1, from it's final season when it got really shitty, that has a good, simple explanation. I'll see if I can find the clip somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:56 am 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

Oh, this could possibly be explained with some simpler physics.

If gravity exists in Xen like on Earth, the gravitional force would be

Code:
Gravity = Mass * Acceration Downwards

This should apply for all bodies in Xen including the floating islands. The acceration of these bodies are

Code:
Acceleration = Sum of Forces / Mass

The islands have a speed of 0m/s, as they're staying where they are relatively to everything else. Thus must their acceleration = 0m/s^2.
To have such an acceleration either the mass must be really really really high, or the the sum of the forces are zero. That means something affects the island with a force equal to the gravity (mass*acceleration downwards) but in the oposite direction.

If the islands have no mass there would be no gravity that effects them, but then the acceleration would be completely absurd. So the most likely case is that something counteracts the gravity but only for the islands, not the animals. (Which is comfirmed do not naturally live in Xen).
It's also confirmed that Xen is a borderworld, some dimensional bottleneck. A dead end. Well, until someone opened a helluva portals there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 am 
Inductee
 WWW  Profile

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I woulod like to make one observation.

Kinda, I was always an adept of the border world theory, since I played HL1 back in 1999, but one thing about that and the theories posted here made me think, without result because I am so crappy in physics: if the islands are in equilibrium between two massive dimensions, wouldn't the creatures fall in the two directions?

If there's mass above and below, then if you fall from the island you will fall straight into the abyss, and if you jump, you will keep ascending.

Maybe its like someone said, the normal rules simply don't apply. Even so, it would be nice to have some kind of theory!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:52 pm 
Seeker

S7alker wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I woulod like to make one observation.

Kinda, I was always an adept of the border world theory, since I played HL1 back in 1999, but one thing about that and the theories posted here made me think, without result because I am so crappy in physics: if the islands are in equilibrium between two massive dimensions, wouldn't the creatures fall in the two directions?

If there's mass above and below, then if you fall from the island you will fall straight into the abyss, and if you jump, you will keep ascending.

Maybe its like someone said, the normal rules simply don't apply. Even so, it would be nice to have some kind of theory!

Welcome to the forums! On behalf of our fine community, we hope you enjoy your stay. :-)

Now, the science part. As you said, the normal rules do not apply. The way I see it, every "full" universe is totally different. The laws of physics/nature/mathematics that work in our world may be different, opposite, or totally absent in another. A "border" universe, such as Xen, would not have any physical laws of its own, rather, it would "borrow" from the laws of the universes it bordered. That would be why gravity is weaker there - the relative "down" we experience is a compromise between each neighboring universes concept of just what "down" should be. We think an objects should fall toward a nearby object of sufficient mass, but what of this other place Xen connects us to?

Suppose that the other universe (henceforth, universe B) does not have gravity in the same way we do. Maybe there, dark energy overcomes gravity, causing everything to "fall" up. Or maybe the forces that cause separate masses to attract one another in our universe, gravity, cause different masses to be repelled (explaining why no planets seem to form in Xen) in universe B. Gravity might also still exist more or less as we know it in universe B, but may be weaker or stronger. Anything is possible - different universe, different rules.

So it might be perfectly normal for things to only fall one way in Xen. Perhaps the compromise between gravity and whatever law or laws universe B follows results in a stronger pull in a given direction, thus, a relative "down" is created. It makes sense, if you look at it from an objective perspective: why must we assume that reality as a whole follows any set of rules at all?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 am 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

Perhaps, I haven't seen any theories about this yet. It's a commonly known fact that the creatures in Xen does not belong there naturally. Neither does the player. The astroids do. The creatures and the player comes from other universes or worlds. For the player, he comes from Earth where the normal physics laws apply. Let's just say his kind of matter behaves the same in all universes, and the same for the creatures. And the Xen matter just behaves differently.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 pm 
Acolyte

Think of our universe as a drawing on a piece of paper, in this analogy Xen is a piece of blotting paper sandwiched between our universe and another (some others?). Xen has soaked up a vague outline of the universes around it, all blurred and overwritten.
Now try and imagine that in more than two dimensions :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:47 pm 
Acolyte

Xen borrows some laws from different universes? That wouldn't work... Xen is not a completely different universe, in fact I don't think is another universe, because the ONLY (important) differences are Floating Islands and Yellow Crystals. I already told that it has gravity, an atmosphere, a star, just like a planet. In game is it told that the yellow crystals posses exotic matter (tachyons) which has imaginary mass (quadric(?) root of a negative number) not a negative mass... Plus, we don't know what really dark energy and dark matter are.

So: Tachyons + [? (Dark Energy?/ Dark Matter?/ A mistery?)] = Floating islands

Yellow crystals explains why Xen is a relay station (in our universe) and why it has floating islands, to me at least.

Here are some ideas for flying islands, if anyone have read one of the sci-fi books, please tell the hipothesis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_island_(fiction)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:04 am 
Acolyte

Actually, imaginary numbers are the square root of a negative number: i = square root of -1. And I don't remember hearing any of that ingame about the star (which we never see, first of all), or the specific properties of the crystals; as far as I knew, they were more or less a McGuffin, which cause the resonance cascade in the first appearance and which must be destroyed so you can beat the Nihilanth in their next appearance. As for gravity: it only behaves remotely like gravity as we know it. There's no "planet" below the floating islands for Gordon to fall down to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:55 pm 
Acolyte

Yar Kramer wrote:
Actually, imaginary numbers are the square root of a negative number: i = square root of -1. And I don't remember hearing any of that ingame about the star (which we never see, first of all), or the specific properties of the crystals; as far as I knew, they were more or less a McGuffin, which cause the resonance cascade in the first appearance and which must be destroyed so you can beat the Nihilanth in their next appearance. As for gravity: it only behaves remotely like gravity as we know it. There's no "planet" below the floating islands for Gordon to fall down to.

Well, square root was the word I was looking for... I lack the ability to find the right words, even in my mother language.

If there is no star, then from where does the light comes from? There are some Xen maps that show a sun in the horizon (I think in Blue shift).

About the crystals, we see that these are involved in creating portals, and in the VERY FIRST part of HL1, the scientist say "it is the purest sample of exotic matter", "it is highly unstable"...

"it only behaves remotely like gravity as we know it"... what? in simple words, everything (except of the islands, I explained why) is attracted to a more massive object (planet), thus fall towards the planet. There must be a massive body to hold that atmosphere!
I really want to know what makes you say that there is no planet below... you live in a semispherical object, yet you see it flat... your head moves faster (and time pass slower) than your feet, please tell me if you can notice that... when you look at the sky you can watch a bidimensional sheet of stars, but you know is not true...

BTW, what was the point of your post? You just talk about McGuffins... Try to say a better theory...
And remember, if it would be another universe (not dimension, not reality), THE RULES WOULD BE 100% DIFFERENT, VIOLATING THE CMP SIMMETRY OR NOT!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2