MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: No Life, No Death, No World
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:39 am 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

**OBLIGATORY SPOILER WARNING**
Doctor here, with a few findings I find interesting.

During the HEV suit's reboot sequence (after the first energy pulse o' death), there's some scrambled text in one line, which I interpreted as saying;

"No Future, No Past, No Present, No Life, No Death, No World"

Also, there appears to be at least one MAC address there.

Discuss.

Post subject: Re: No Life, No Death, No World
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:40 pm 
Scribe

scutter_2 wrote:
**OBLIGATORY SPOILER WARNING**
Doctor here, with a few findings I find interesting.

During the HEV suit's reboot sequence (after the first energy pulse o' death), there's some scrambled text in one line, which I interpreted as saying;

"No Future, No Past, No Present, No Life, No Death, No World"

Also, there appears to be at least one MAC address there.

Discuss.

That phrase is also present in the MINERVA archive on the web site, and also somewhat scrambled as you describe.

This is the text extracted from Archive 4 right near the beginning:

$ofut&re nokpa)t no pres}nt no li2e no deaH# no wSrldddddddddd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:06 pm 
Seeker

I think it's also worth noting that it's a whole chunk of text that is exactly the same as in Archive 4: (except the date)

Quote:
[kernel interrupt - 00:00:01 01/01/1970 - spurious console input]
--[log contains unformatted data]
$ofut&re nokpa't no pres-nt no li2e no deaH# no wSrldddddddddd
[kernel interrupt - 00:00:02 01/01/1970 - terminal pts/0x07d reset]

So this changes my interpretation of archive 4 a bit. Seems this "no future no past.." wasn't a one-time message, almost seems like an electronic signature of some sort. It seems to indicate to me that 1)Minerva was the one who helped reboot our characters HEV suit (in Pegasus) and 2)that message from "a friend of a friend" (Archive 4) is probably from Minerva. (I had wondered about that.)

The other stuff looks like unix to me, though I"m no expert. (I think the default date in Unix is Jan. 1 1970, and I think pts is pseudo-terminal slave)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:56 am 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

Adam has indeed acknowledged that the HEV suit uses a UNIX-based OS.

Post subject: Hoping I Nab Time
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:38 am 
Inductee

MINERVA could possibly be, at furthest chance, a temporal paradox. A phrase like that can easily mean everything or nothing about the story. You could even go so far as saying this is an 'alternate half life universe' and having the final chapter ripping time to start the 'real half life universe.' But this is certainly a large jump in imagination. Expectantly, I would like to hear any other possible meanings to that phrase...

"It is the nature of man to make monsters, it is the nature of monsters to destroy their makers."

"Be careful when hunting monsters not to become one yourself."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:11 pm 
Acolyte

At some point there was a discussion about this (possibly the blog) which interpreted the "wSrldddddddddd" bit to mean that it doesn't end properly, which is why the d is repeated like that -- in other words, an implicit "no end."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:19 pm 
Seeker

Well, firstly, I'm going to repost a theory I had back in th identity topic, just for the sake of completeness. This topic was dead at the time; no reason for it to miss out. ;-)

Terrapin wrote:
A new interpretation of that message just hit me - it's a description of Minerva's existance. Incredibly vague and open to interpretation, of course, but then, what else could we expect?

No future - Minerva now has nothing to live for except to fight against the Combine, perhaps in vengeance.

No past - Everything Minerva once was is gone; her identity, her family, her friends, her home, her job, even her humanity has been lost/taken.

No life - Being "all alone in this forsaken machine", she doesn't really have what we would consider a life.

No death - Due to what Minerva is now, she cannot die (post-human, A.I., etc.).

No world - Every place she could conceivably call home is either beyond her reach, under attack by an inter-dimensional alien military, or so alien in and of itself that Minerva cannot bring herself to call it home.

Now, onto the real discussion...

Yar Kramer wrote:
At some point there was a discussion about this (possibly the blog) which interpreted the "wSrldddddddddd" bit to mean that it doesn't end properly, which is why the d is repeated like that -- in other words, an implicit "no end."

Minerva did say that the world beyond the portal (Lux Aeterna, or LA), related somehow to the end of the world. This seems to imply something left unfinished - the end of the world was drawn out, as though it (i.e., the inhabitants of LA) were not ready to die. Or perhaps it represents the slow death of independent life as the Combine take over; multiple worlds ending one by one, and Minerva (to whom the message seems to be tied) is the only one who can stop it.

One other interesting possibility is found in locworks references to "high energy double mirror twins of dead rampant A.I.", which he has posted on the blog at one point (infinite thanks to whoever finds it), and at least one other place. Maybe some part of Minerva, or perhaps even Minerva herself, is some insane A.I. who is trying to communicate it's grim outlook on life. We don't know what state Minerva is in - in this document, as well as at the end of Chapter 3, which comprise both times we've seen the message, Minerva is pretty shaken up. So many possibilities...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:53 pm 
Acolyte

Lux Aeterna. Translating that (if it is indeed doable, lloks like Latin to me) may give us some more clues as to exactly where and what.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:48 am 
Seeker

TrenchFeeder wrote:
Lux Aeterna. Translating that (if it is indeed doable, lloks like Latin to me) may give us some more clues as to exactly where and what.

Translates to "Eternal Light". That doesn't really tell us much as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:49 am 
Acolyte

Lux Aeterna?.... Eternal Light.... is a very special name for a planet, don't you think?

Terrapin... You replied before me for only one minute....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 am 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

May I also point out one horrifying cryptic possibility.

Someone mentioned earlier that Lux Aeterna can be abbreviated to LA...
I think we can all agree that Los Angeles is the last place anyone would want Out Of Time to take place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:13 am 
Acolyte

Terrapin wrote:
TrenchFeeder wrote:

Translates to "Eternal Light". That doesn't really tell us much as far as I know.

Eternal Light.... Can this mean that the planet is in a binary (or even trinary) system? Close to a supernova? That mean that there is almost no nights, because of these reasons? Or the Forefathers "created/discovered" a new kind of "light energy"?

Or its name is because that's where pre-Minerva entity was "Illuminated" (reached the actual status we know, from human/Adam-knows-what.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:38 am 
Seeker

Well, Minerva does say here that we're "lucky to see this world", so perhaps it's some kind of perfect world, sort of like the age old concept of heaven. Maybe it's supposed to be some kind of refuge for humanity, another world where we can start fresh, learn from our mistakes, and finally get things right as a species. Or maybe it's a place where we can join Minerva as post-humans / A.I.s / superhumans / whatever-she-is, and live perfect lives as perfect beings. It seems likely to me that humans have been there before (note the truss-beam architecture featured prominently in the above image).

But that is best left to this thread.

The message seems likely to be something related to Minerva. My theory is still that it's Minerva's identity, cleverly encrypted. But in the end, the logical part of me says that we're reading way too much in to a simple error message. We have to be careful not to make meaning where no meaning was intended, because that doesn't lead anywhere except away from the answers we seek.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:28 pm 
Acolyte

Terrapin wrote:
It seems likely to me that humans have been there before (note the truss-beam architecture featured prominently in the above image).

How? Sure that architecture has some tousand years... That mean the portal was to the future? It seems very possible, but don't forget a plausible convergent architecture evolution between species/civilizations.... just like Mesoamericans/Egypt (maybe they had influence between them, or a common external influence).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:45 pm 
Scribe

Quote:
One other interesting possibility is found in locworks references to "high energy double mirror twins of dead rampant A.I.", which he has posted on the blog at one point (infinite thanks to whoever finds it), and at least one other place.

I believe that phrase can be found at the beginning of the Inductee's Guide to the MINERVA Universe.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next