MINERVA - read-only archives


Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:26 am

All times are UTC





Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:20 pm 
Offline
Seeker
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 am
Posts: 105
I really do hate to interrupt this conversation, but I'm afraid of have something entirely different, and perhaps a bit more on topic, to present for your consideration.


#######################################
The Minerva Identity Theory Compendium
#######################################

<<<Last Edited: 21 January 2008>>>

Contents:
(1) Introduction
(2) Methods
(3) Theories
>>>(3.1) A.I. Theory (Human Designed)
>>>(3.2) A.I. Theory (Non-Human Designed)
>>>(3.3) Post-Human Theory (Combine)
>>>(3.4) Post-Human Theory (Non-Combine)
>>>(3.5) Extraterrestrial Theory
>>>(3.6) Human Theory
(4) How You Can Help
(5) Conclusion



Chapter 1: Introduction

I’m going to start by thanking you for reading this. Granted, you’re only at the first, and shortest, of five chapters, but at least you’re interested, which means I must have done something right. I’ll be brief in my purpose: Minerva has for far too long been little more than the dial of a modem and an intermittent wall of text; this identity of this entity, whom we all know and love, has been an unsolved variable for far too long.

It is my purpose now to end that.

I cannot hope to do it alone, which is why I am creating this. What follows is an in-depth and theoretically exhaustive guide to all currently proffered theories of who, and/or what, Minerva is. The true method of knowledge is experiment, so let us begin.


Chapter 2: Methods

My methods are simple: Minerva has appeared in six maps so far, Someplace Else (1), and Metastasis (5). We also have quotes by Adam, from interviews, statements, et cetera, which are considered absolutely valid. Finally, we have the “hylobatidae” we domain – it is assumed that anything said here related to Minerva and that is not obviously a joke is valid. Anything else is null and void: no Half-Life 1, 2, or Episodes and expansions thereof can be included, and while it may be used to support existing evidence, it cannot, for the purposes of this document, be used to form new evidence, or entirely new theories. If Adam Foster didn’t make it, it doesn’t count.

In this document, I made every attempt to be completely unbiased. On the suggestion of an individual who shall remain anonymous, I will give my arbitrary descriptive name to a theory, describe the identity of Minerva it states, and proceed to list all evidence given in accordance with the above explanation, starting with evidence for the theory, then evidence against it. Opinion has no place here. Because we are not Adam, we cannot share his thoughts and ideas, and thus, our opinions will give us no insight, and will almost surely be counter productive. I will, out of respect, give no names, but some acolytes have, in recent days, given theories based on their personal desires for what the answer should be, inevitably leading to unintentional disregard for what the answer is. While this is fine in casual discussion and debate, if we are to find our answer, we must be impartial in every possible way. We must see this not as a competition or a game, but as a simple communal problem, not unlike a mathematical equation – if we look at every possible way to solve this, we’re bound to get it. So without further ado, let’s get this started.


Chapter 3: Theories
Finally, the part you’re here for. I won’t waste time with any more explanation than necessary. I just listed the theories in the order they came to mind, which is basically random. Enjoy.

Format: [b]
Theory {#}: {name}
{Brief explanation}
Evidence for the {name}:
* Point A
* Point B
* Point C

Evidence against the {name}:
* Point A
* Point B
* Point C


Theory 1: A.I. Theory (Human Designed)
Minerva is an artificial intelligence, possibly based on a human brain, designed by human beings, basically for our own convenience. Now, with abilities far exceeding her makers, she battles the Combine.

Evidence for the A.I. Theory (Human Designed):
* Minerva demonstrates technical skill far beyond that of a normal human. She deftly accesses satellite photos, terrestrial radio signals, the Black Mesa computer network, and even the Combine command network.
* Minerva claims to have played a large role in helping humanity discover portals and Xen. This demonstrates a likely purpose to create an A.I. such as Minerva.
* Minerva seems to consider herself human, at least on some level. She refers to humanity as “our species”, refers to the oceans as “our oceans”, et cetera.
* Minerva states that she is “all alone in this forsaken machine” – this could describe some kind of data center or computer network.
* Minerva claims to have interfaced with a “network”, suggesting she can directly access digital systems.
* Minerva calls herself a “Discarded piece of shit”, and as a “manufactured war criminals”, implying her current state is not naturally occurring.
* Minerva says that she “turned the gravity nullifier off myself, actually. It's one of
the few perks you get when you're something like me.”
* Being an A.I. designed for research explains her passion for experiments.


Evidence against the A.I. Theory (Human Designed):
* Minerva distinctly says she is reading her data off of “screens” – an A.I. would have no need for screens, as any data they gather would be a part of their total intelligence.
* Adam Foster has been quoted as saying, in regards to Minerva’s identity, “Who said anything about A.I.?” This is somewhat ambiguous, but seems the phraseology suggests he is against the theory.
* An A.I. designed solely for research would have no reason for emotions, especially those causing feelings of attachment and panic – both of which she has clearly demonstrated. Note, however, that she may be “rampant”, or otherwise be in a functional state she was never designed to be in.


Theory 2: A.I. Theory (Non-Human Designed)
Minerva is an artificial intelligence, built by some non-human species.

Evidence for the A.I. Theory (Non-Human Designed):
* Minerva was first encountered in Xen, a border world inhabited by numerous alien species, making it very possible that she is of extraterrestrial origin.
* Minerva’s knowledge of extraterrestrial locations, such as Lux Aeterna, and Xen, seem to be far beyond that of any human being.
* Minerva states that she is “all alone in this forsaken machine” – this could describe some kind of data center or computer network.
* Minerva claims to have interfaced with a “network”, suggesting she can directly access digital systems.
* Minerva calls herself a “Discarded piece of shit”, and as a “manufactured war criminals”, implying her current state is not naturally occurring.
* Minerva says that she “turned the gravity nullifier off myself, actually. It's one of
the few perks you get when you're something like me.”
* She states that Perseus “may even have a fighting chance at saving our worlds”; note the plural.
* Being an A.I. designed for research explains her passion for experiments.


Evidence against the A.I. Theory (Non-Human Designed):
* Minerva seems to consider herself human, at least on some level. She refers to humanity as “our species”, refers to the oceans as “our oceans”, et cetera.
* Any alien knowledge Minerva has collected may simply be a result of her contact with her “adopted forefathers”.
* Minerva states well before the Combine invasion that she helped humanity make several important scientific discoveries – why would she do that, and why would we even accept her help?
* If Minerva isn’t human, she does a very good job of acting like she is – her emotions and responses in dire situations are exactly like those a human being would be expected to have. Note, however, that she may be “rampant”, or otherwise be in a functional state she was never designed to be in.
* Minerva distinctly says she is reading her data off of “screens” – an A.I. would have no need for screens, as any data they gather would be a part of their total intelligence.
* Adam Foster has been quoted as saying, in regards to Minerva’s identity, “Who said anything about A.I.?” This is somewhat ambiguous, but seems the phraseology suggests he is against the theory.


Theory 3: Post-Human Theory (Combine)
Minerva was human, but was altered by the Combine until she could hardly call herself human anymore. She escaped, and is now using the technology that she has been involuntarily fused with, and perhaps cannot live without, to fight back.

Evidence for the Post-Human Theory (Combine):
* Minerva is repeatedly shown to have extensive knowledge of the Combine and their technology - she has clearly dealt with them in the past.
* Minerva states that she knows “exactly how it feels” to lose “any other vestiges of your humanity”.
* Minerva clearly hates the Combine, even to the extent that she keeps Perseus just to insult them.
* She seems contemptuous and resentful of those who betray humanity to join the Combine, but is also very sympathetic the those who suffer at their hands. For example, she pities the stalkers, “worked to death, and now finally reaching for freedom”.
* Minerva calls herself a “Discarded piece of shit”, and as a “manufactured war criminals”, implying her current state is not naturally occurring.
* Minerva says that she “turned the gravity nullifier off myself, actually. It's one of
the few perks you get when you're something like me.”
* Minerva demonstrates technical skill far beyond that of a normal human. She deftly accesses satellite photos, terrestrial radio signals, the Black Mesa computer network, and even the Combine command network.
* Minerva seems to consider herself human, at least on some level. She refers to humanity as “our species”, refers to the oceans as “our oceans”, et cetera.
* Minerva states that she has authorization to see some Combine data – she either has access to their network directly, or knows their systems very well (albeit not well enough to see everything).
* She seems very familiar with the Combine and their work, implying this isn’t the first time she has faced them.
* She views humans as simple “hairless apes”, implying she is, in her own opinion, something far more advanced.


Evidence against the Post-Human Theory (Combine):
* If she were of Combine origin, why would she even help humanity in the first place? Why were the Combine short-sighted enough to even leave her free will intact?
* Minerva knows of Lux Aeterna at least minimally, but the Combine have are just discovering it – unless she has conducted other inter-planetary, or even inter-dimensional studies, she shouldn’t know this.
* If Minerva is post-human, why did she not activate the portal in Someplace Else herself? Note, however, that her post-humanization may have left her fighting skills, or even her mobility, compromised.


Theory 4: Post-Human Theory (Non-Combine)
Minerva was human, but through some means not related to the Combine, (possibly a human experiment) was altered until she could hardly call herself human anymore. She now uses her abilities, which go far beyond that of a simple “hairless ape” to fight the Combine and/or protect humanity.

Evidence for the Post-Human Theory (Non-Combine):
* Minerva states that she knows “exactly how it feels” to lose “any other vestiges of your humanity”.
* Minerva calls herself a “Discarded piece of shit”, and as a “manufactured war criminals”, implying her current state is not naturally occurring.
* Minerva says that she “turned the gravity nullifier off myself, actually. It's one of
the few perks you get when you're something like me.”, implying that she is not human, or at least, does not consider herself human.
* Minerva demonstrates technical skill far beyond that of a normal human. She deftly accesses satellite photos, terrestrial radio signals, the Black Mesa computer network, and even the Combine command network.
* Minerva seems to consider herself human, at least on some level. She refers to humanity as “our species”, refers to the oceans as “our oceans”, et cetera.
* She views humans as simple “hairless apes”, implying she is, in her own opinion, something far more advanced.
* Minerva’s passion for experimentation could be explained if she herself was an experiment into human alteration, perhaps even by human beings.


Evidence against the Post-Human Theory (Non-Combine):
* So far, we have yet to see evidence of any new extra-terrestrial species, besides her likely inhuman “adopted forefathers”, who appear to be long deceased.
* Her intense hatred for the Combine, and her desire to attack and insult them, are not explained by this theory.
* If Minerva is post-human, why did she not activate the portal in Someplace Else herself? Note, however, that her post-humanization may have left her fighting skills, or even her mobility, compromised.


Theory 5: Extraterrestrial Theory
Minerva never was, and still is not, human. She acts in the interests of her own species, and we are exactly what she says we are: simple pawns.

Evidence for the Extraterrestrial Theory:
* Minerva was first encountered in Xen, a border world inhabited by numerous alien species, making it very possible that she is of extraterrestrial origin.
* Minerva’s knowledge of extraterrestrial locations, such as Lux Aeterna, and Xen, seem to be far beyond that of any human being.
* Minerva says that she “turned the gravity nullifier off myself, actually. It's one of
the few perks you get when you're something like me.”
* She states that Perseus “may even have a fighting chance at saving our worlds”; note the plural.
* Minerva claims to have helped humanity develop portal technology. Since every extraterrestrial society we have seen thus far is more advanced that humanity, it seems possible she could have given our technology a jump-start, if you will.


Evidence against the Extraterrestrial Theory:
* Minerva seems to consider herself human, at least on some level. She refers to humanity as “our species”, refers to the oceans as “our oceans”, et cetera.
* When Adam was questioned as the whether Minerva was human, his reply suggested that this was at least a step in the right direction.
* Any alien knowledge Minerva has collected may simply be a result of her contact with her “adopted forefathers”.
* Minerva states well before the Combine invasion that she helped humanity make several important scientific discoveries – why would she do that, and why would we even accept her help?
* If Minerva isn’t human, she does a very good job of acting like she is – her emotions and responses in dire situations are exactly like those a human being would be expected to have.


Theory 6: Human Theory
Minerva is human. She may be smart, and incredibly good at what she does, not to mention her incredible aptitude at surviving conditions that have left billions dead, but she is just like us, and fights against the invasion of her home world.

Evidence for the Human Theory:
* When Adam was questioned as the whether Minerva was human, his reply suggested that this was at least a step in the right direction.
* Minerva claims to have played a large role in helping humanity discover portals and Xen.
* She seems contemptuous and resentful of those who betray humanity to join the Combine, but is also very sympathetic the those who suffer at their hands. For example, she pities the stalkers, “worked to death, and now finally reaching for freedom”.
* Minerva seems to consider herself human, at least on some level. She refers to humanity as “our species”, refers to the oceans as “our oceans”, et cetera.
* Minerva’s reactions and responses to dire situations are exactly mirror those a human being would be expected to have.
* Minerva seems to have a messiah complex, of sorts. She even mentions this, but rebukes it, saying she is, in fact, far more powerful. And yet, she is incapable of making any real progress without a subject, or avatar. This kind of attitude seems very human.


Evidence against the Human Theory:
* Minerva says that she “turned the gravity nullifier off myself, actually. It's one of
the few perks you get when you're something like me.”, implying that she is not human, or at least, does not consider herself human.
* She views humans as simple “hairless apes”, implying she is, in her own opinion, something far more advanced
* Minerva demonstrates technical skill far beyond that of a normal human. She deftly accesses satellite photos, terrestrial radio signals, the Black Mesa computer network, and even the Combine command network.
* Minerva calls herself a “Discarded piece of shit”, and as a “manufactured war criminals”, implying her current state is not naturally occurring.
* Minerva states that she knows “exactly how it feels” to lose “any other vestiges of your humanity”.
* Minerva seems far more knowledgeable than any human being yet encountered. She is familiar with Xen, Lux Aeterna, the Combine’s past history, and even headcrabs.



[b]Chapter 4: How You Can Help


Because there is no way to make posts editable by anyone (short of making a wiki, or some such resource), my ideal scenario of having this document be open to public editing cannot yet be realized. Thus, if you have any corrections, suggestions, amendments, pieces of evidence, or even entire theories, either post them here, or send me a message, and they will be added at best speed. If I have missed something blindingly obvious, which is entirely possible, please contact me by post or message – this is a living document (metaphorically) – I want everyone who is interested to be able to make it the best it can possibly be.

However, please adhere to the rules outlined in Chapter 2. We need a unified system of theories, and I have created one. If you don’t like it, contact me as described above, by post or message, and it can be change. I am doing this for the benefit of all those interested in uncovering Minerva’s identity. It’s a great hobby, and a real brain workout at times, but most of all, I just like figuring things out. If you do not share this enthusiasm, then by all means, continue with whatever discussion interests you – that’s what forums are for.

Any contributions are appreciated. No matter what you have to say, if it hasn’t already been said (or you feel it needs to be said again), then say it. Unlike in City 17, constructive input is always appreciated here.

All I ask is that you tell me what you think, both about this document, and about the theories therein. Which theory do you support? Which do you think is the most correct? The least correct? Why? Every experiment needs to collect data, both for the learning process, and to revise the experiment for the future, so if you are so inclined, please contribute at will.

Chapter 5: Conclusion

Well, there you have it. Seven-and-a-half pages of theories and exposition. Thank you again for reading – the very fact that this was worth your time makes it worth while to me (unless you’re one of those people who has so little time that you just read the beginning and end of a document in the hope that you’ll learn everything you need to know in the opening and closing remarks, in which case, I suggest stopping to take a breath, because you may have forgotten to schedule that ;-) ).

On a serious note, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: we’re close. So very close that it’s becoming irritating. Adam has told us that we have all we need to figure this out, so let’s prove him right. “Infiltrate, reveal, destroy” – that’s how it begins. We’ve done the first and third, so let’s finish the second. We know we can, and I believe we will.

Where we go from here is up to you.


Last edited by Terrapin on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 pm 
Offline
Scribe
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:45 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Utah, USA
I currently lean toward the post-human theories.I am unsure of the origin of her post-human condition, but lean toward the non-combine theory explaining her post-human condition.

I don't think that the non-combine origin of her post-human condition should be considered evidence against this theory though. She appears to consider herself human (at least in part) and is sympathetic toward those who suffer because of the Combine. Thus, it would be quite normal that she would be angered by the Combine's enslavement of humanity as well as by the suffering they cause for their benefit.

_________________
The Battle of Philadelphia
Community Relations Team Lead
Type 3 Studios Community Member


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 pm 
Offline
Acolyte
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:39 am
Posts: 27
Terrapin, once again you're organizational skills has helped this discussion enormously. I'm leaning towards either of the "post-human" theories right now, they just make most sense in my mind...

I have one correction, though. More of a suggestion, I suppose, but either way. It's in regards to the A.I. theories. I've all but dismissed them, largly due Adam's quote that's listed there, but in all fairness ever angle should be covered. When you mention emotions in A.I. being unlikely, I think you should say something along the lines of "though she may be Rampant, or something of the like". Rampant A.I.'s create "emotional algorithms" I guess you could call them, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not. Many A.I.'s in stories over the years, even when not Rampant, show human-like emotions.

So, as I said, it's for fairness, even if it's all basically out the window.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:00 am 
Offline
Seeker
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 am
Posts: 105
Nesretep wrote:
I currently lean toward the post-human theories.I am unsure of the origin of her post-human condition, but lean toward the non-combine theory explaining her post-human condition.

I don't think that the non-combine origin of her post-human condition should be considered evidence against this theory though. She appears to consider herself human (at least in part) and is sympathetic toward those who suffer because of the Combine. Thus, it would be quite normal that she would be angered by the Combine's enslavement of humanity as well as by the suffering they cause for their benefit.


I'm not disagreeing with you there - I simply said that her hatred for the Combine is not explained. Yes, it would be quite normal to feel that way, were she a normal human. But if she is not an normal human, as this theory explains, and is not in such a state due to the Combine, then her reasons for hating the Combine are not explained. We're not sure how much of her humanity she lost in the process of post-humanization, so I think it's a fair point. That is, unless I completely missed your point.

ZeroMachine wrote:
Terrapin, once again you're organizational skills has helped this discussion enormously. I'm leaning towards either of the "post-human" theories right now, they just make most sense in my mind...

I have one correction, though. More of a suggestion, I suppose, but either way. It's in regards to the A.I. theories. I've all but dismissed them, largly due Adam's quote that's listed there, but in all fairness ever angle should be covered. When you mention emotions in A.I. being unlikely, I think you should say something along the lines of "though she may be Rampant, or something of the like". Rampant A.I.'s create "emotional algorithms" I guess you could call them, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not. Many A.I.'s in stories over the years, even when not Rampant, show human-like emotions.

So, as I said, it's for fairness, even if it's all basically out the window.


Revised to include rampancy and other general A.I. related weired-ness. Thank you both for the suggestions - please continue your scrutiny.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:27 am 
Offline
Acolyte
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:49 am
Posts: 113
I'd like to put something forth: the fact that Half-Life 2 had not been released when Adam created Someplace Else, and he'd intended to add more to the story (i.e. the abandoned Parallax). This might or might not imply that we shouldn't look too hard at the Combine as a possible origin for Minerva, since he may have changed the unreleased backstory when he started making Metastasis (always a possibility -- I do that all the time!)


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:10 am 
Offline
Seeker
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 am
Posts: 105
Yar Kramer wrote:
I'd like to put something forth: the fact that Half-Life 2 had not been released when Adam created Someplace Else, and he'd intended to add more to the story (i.e. the abandoned Parallax). This might or might not imply that we shouldn't look too hard at the Combine as a possible origin for Minerva, since he may have changed the unreleased backstory when he started making Metastasis (always a possibility -- I do that all the time!)


I believe he said somewhere on the blog that Someplace Else was indeed a prequel to Metastasis. Either way, I'm quite sure he has never officially removed SE from Minerva cannon, and thus, I think we can safely assume it is valid within the story. And Wikipedia agrees with me, so it's now a scientifically proven fact. ;-)

As for the Combine, Adam may have intended Minerva to have been post-humanized by whatever species built the Parallax (very likely the oft-mentioned "adopted forefathers" Minerva speaks of), but then the Combine were introduced. So like you said, he may have changed the unreleased parts of the back-story. So while it is an interesting side discussion, I think we should stick with what is part of the Minerva universe now, as opposed to what it was.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:46 pm 
Offline
Inductee
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:25 pm
Posts: 4
Terrapin wrote:
You do make a good point about her concerns for the Combine getting her - she doesn't show any vulnerability until she sees the portal, and the Combine invasion of LA does seem to shake her up. This leads me, however, to Minerva's fragile emotional state at the time. In fifteen minutes, she has seen the one of the worlds she considers her home invaded, and has been forced to try to kill the only person she could truly sympathize with. She could simply be upset. Or it could be entirely unrelated to LA - the Combine may have found her on the satellite, or pinpointed her point of access to their network.

Her fear of discovery are directly linked to the LA portal. She even said it. Let me look the quote up when I'm home.
EDIT: "So be warned, I'd sooner fully vaporise both you and this satellite than be discovered by your former combine masters. I know they can reach me now, and that makes me afraid."
Well not directly linked, but apparently she was not afraid of being reached before she went down the shaft. Intersting that she calls them your former combine masters, not our.

Quote:
Well, whatever is in LA, and whoever the Forefathers were, Minerva values them and their legacy above all else. Also, I agree that the Combine may not have killed the Forefathers directly, but remember, they have other influences. For example, the Nihilanth was not a member of the Combine (not so far as I know, anyway), but still wreaked havoc. Or the Forefathers could have been long dead, for eons, but their technology remains, and is so powerful, Minerva will do anything to keep it out of Combine hands. We don't know much of anything about LA or the Forefathers at this point, I'm afraid.

Well the Nihilanth was the last of his kind and the combine had probably used others like him.
Look at this quote from Laidlaw:
Quote:
Capture of vorts is fairly common. That particular Nihilanth was the
last of its kind, and never captured, but some of its predecessors might
have been.

source: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114535
The second statement about their powerfull technology is pretty much said by Minerva herself (quote to follow)
EDIT: "The world beyond that portal is not part of that sickly, euphemistic Universal Union - instead it conceals abandoned, eschatological secerts far beyond even my reckoning."
Eschatological refers to the "end of the world" and they are far beyond her reckoning, while she has little problem with combine technology it seems.

Quote:
Just remember that that particular sample was "provided" by the G-Man. He is ultimately responsible for the Black Mesa Incident, and thus, for the Combine invasion, although we have no idea what he had to gain from it.

I am and was aware of that. The post was merely used to show what they were doing in the test chamber. The analysis of the sample is probably used to figure out why and how the crystal can be used in teleportation.

On the theories: Nice summation. At the moment I have nothing to add.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:50 pm 
Offline
Seeker
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 am
Posts: 105
Quote:
Her fear of discovery are directly linked to the LA portal. She even said it. Let me look the quote up when I'm home.
EDIT: "So be warned, I'd sooner fully vaporise both you and this satellite than be discovered by your former combine masters. I know they can reach me now, and that makes me afraid."
Well not directly linked, but apparently she was not afraid of being reached before she went down the shaft. Intersting that she calls them your former combine masters, not our.


I always assumed she was within a satellite, perhaps even the one redirecting the iconic plasma stream to the island. Kind of a strange assumption, I admit, but think about it: we know Minerva has little problem accessing either Black Mesa or Combine related hardware, and both parties have sent satellites into orbit in the past, at least one each. So she could be "located", either through a linked computer network, or some form of physical presence in any number of orbital installations, but sending the signal to, in layman's terms, blow up the island gave away her position. If you re-read some of her quotes from chapter 4, it actually does start to fit quite nicely. For example, the quote you gave seems to imply that destroying the satellite would eliminate the Combine's ability to reach her, demonstrating that it is somehow connected to where she is at the time.

Lastly, check this out.
Quote:
My home? Once, maybe.

So she is not, in any way, in LA at the time of Metastasis.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:06 pm 
Offline
Acolyte
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:41 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Italy
I also used to assume she was in some sort of satellite, don't know why. Note she says "this" satellite: does she mean she is ready to sacrifice both the player and herself, instead of being "captured"?
Or, she is somewhere else, and she says "this" satellite just because she already spoke about it...

_________________
I'm the G-Man. I solve problems.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:32 pm 
Offline
Seeker
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 am
Posts: 105
vahagn wrote:
I also used to assume she was in some sort of satellite, don't know why. Note she says "this" satellite: does she mean she is ready to sacrifice both the player and herself, instead of being "captured"?
Or, she is somewhere else, and she says "this" satellite just because she already spoke about it...


Either way, the satellite is somehow linked to her position. Until she fires the satellite at the end of chapter 3, she is not concerned about her own well being. But as soon as she reveals that she has control over the satellite, she knows they can reach her.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:39 pm 
Offline
Acolyte
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 am
Posts: 105
I somehow was under the impression that Minerva was *inside* the player's suit, since that would be a quick way to explain why she viewed herself in danger after the laser was fired the first time, but that's unlikely considering how indirect she is with the player. If she were really in the suit, she would probably be much more careful with the main protagonist's well being.

_________________
Finished Minerva on Normal...
What about Hard?...



5.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:08 pm 
Offline
Seeker
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 am
Posts: 105
Well, that would be just too much like Halo for my liking. ;-)

Anyway, she says at the beginning of chapter 2 that she's having increasing difficulty communicating with the protagonist. Add to that the fact that she has ready access to satellite photos, and I think it's safe to assume she's nowhere near the player.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:15 pm 
Offline
Acolyte
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 am
Posts: 105
That too. Unless she's using the HEV suit's communication codex to hack the Combine mainframe wirelessly... but then again I doubt she's really on site. She probably wouldn't risk firing the laser if she's in the player's suit, unless Minerva was somehow parasuicidal...

_________________
Finished Minerva on Normal...
What about Hard?...



5.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:35 pm 
Offline
Horseman of the Apocalypse
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:46 pm
Posts: 251
Location: Warsaw
Kenny wrote:
That too. Unless she's using the HEV suit's communication codex to hack the Combine mainframe wirelessly.


I doubt she's using the suit as a hack tool. More likely, she's taken control of the power downlink satellite and uses it to get into the Combine systems.

What would be interesting to figure out is what data she does get from the suit:

- Perseus's position (Is the GPS system still on?)
- Snapshots from the onboard camera (likely)
- Live video feed (less likely, as this requires quite a large bandwidth)
- Health data (basic text values)
- Radiations (Geiger counter and similar device)

Anything else?

Disclaimer: I genuinely don't have any insider knowledge on the suit feature's topic.

_________________
"Okay, Freeman! Be adequate!"
-- Rebel Griggs


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Who (or what) is Minerva?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:26 pm 
Offline
Scribe
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:45 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Utah, USA
Based on what she says to us throughout the chapters in Metastasis, I think we can determine many of these things. I don't have access to the file containing all of her sayings from the computer I'm using right now, but that would be the first place I would look. It more be more helpful though to have the saying as well as the context in which it was used. For example, if something happens to us and she makes a comment that references that event. Through that we can infer what information she is able to obtain through the suit, at least in part. Did any of that make sense?

_________________
The Battle of Philadelphia
Community Relations Team Lead
Type 3 Studios Community Member


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

All times are UTC



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group