MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:27 pm 
Acolyte

I did all of that. The drive paths are:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods

And I don't have it anymore but I'm assuming the path for metastasis was:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\metastasis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:08 pm 
Horseman of the Apocalypse
 WWW  Profile

Good stuff.
Are you launching HL2: EP1 or M:M withy their desktop shortcuts ?
If so, can you try to launch them directly from Steam when you are in online mode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:20 pm 
Acolyte

capthavoc123 wrote:
EDIT: Sometimes if I blindly click around I can start a new game, but once it loads it immediately shuts down and displays an "Engine Error" which says "failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8: LockVertexBuffer"

Have you updated your graphics drivers? If no, then try that - if yes, then that may be a cause.

MINERVA doesn't have any new code, and leaves Episode One completely alone - the only non-shortcut files it adds are in its mod directory, and the only registry entries it adds aren't readable by Episode One.

I think it's more of a Valve problem than a MINERVA one, so it may be worth getting in touch with their support stuff. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:34 pm 
Acolyte

locworks wrote:
Are you launching HL2: EP1 or M:M withy their desktop shortcuts ?
If so, can you try to launch them directly from Steam when you are in online mode?

I've tried both methods and get the same result each time.

Cargo Cult wrote:
Have you updated your graphics drivers?

I don't think it has to do with that. Steam has been telling me for a while now that my graphics drivers are out of date and it hasn't caused a problem before. And Ep1 worked just fine before I installed MINERVA.

EDIT: Well, I feel sheepish. It was my drivers after all.

Thanks for the help, all. I think I'll try installing MINERVA again.

Post subject: I've tried "everything"!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:16 pm 
Inductee

I've tried "everything"!

Obviously, I haven't. Since it's still not working. I tried reinstalling HL2 ep 1 and even ep 2. Removing Minerva even before that. I reinstalled Minerva, ran all instances of HL2 once each, then tried starting again, even from the Steam window even though the shortcut should be fixed. I tried installing it again, with the html download instead of the torrent. Removing everything and starting over. Still nothing.
I'm frankly unsure what you mean about the defragmenting, but I started a full system disk defragmentation before I went to work today, just to be sure. Still nothing.
As a last resort, I tried, without any real hope of that actually working, to put the steamapps resource files into c:/program files/steam/steamapps in hopes that maybe somehow the location of these files were hardcoded in the mod, so that it would try finding the stuff on the C drive, even though steam is on the E drive.

As the last chance of trying to sort this problem I appeal to you guys. And hope that the problem doesn't have anything to do with the location of Steam, since my C drive is only a 20GB partition meant for Windows and utility software only. My problem seems to be much like, or identical to the problems I've seen so many else having. The MP5, the Handgun, the Shotgun and the Grenades show up as a big flashing ERROR. However, I don't have any textures missing. In addition, it doesn't seem like the Combine with MP5s have their models missing, but the ones with shotguns run around with big flashing ERRORs. Before all of this I even ignored those issues and plowed through the awesome game, just to find out that I get stuck at the plasma stabilisers(?), was it? Not being able to throw the grenades.
My stuff is located in E:/games/Steam/steamapps/SourceMod/metastasis

I've checked and double checked what I can from your checklist, and I can see two possible causes at this point, one is that I might not know what you mean about Defragmenting the files, I hope this is the one, since the other concern the location of Steam, which means a whole bunch of repartitioning and formatting to make it work...

In advance, thanks.

-Stark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:07 pm 
Acolyte

MINERVA was mostly developed on a two-disk system - a 14GB system partition, and Steam itself living on an external Firewire drive. So I don't think it's that...

Does HL2: Ep1 itself work fine? It may be worth right-clicking on its icon in the Steam games list, bringing up Properties, Local files, then clicking on 'Verify integrity of game cache'. (Is this in the checklist already? I haven't checked!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:10 pm 
Inductee

Yep, verification worked. Finally completed the thing. I approve. Thanks for an awesome experience =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:32 am 
Petitioner

I've done everything in the checklist. HL2 and HL2:ep1 both work fine for me.

I'm in the part of Depth Charge, at the very beginning. After coming through the "airlock" which starts the map, and descending on the elevator, and killing the three combine.

When I begin to walk into the room (which I assume will remove all my weapons, like the similar room in HL2), I hear a camera taking my picture, then the screen flashes white and then my computer crashes. I've tried about a dozen times, changing settings and whatnot.

If it helps any, this happens every once in a while in CS:S on the map cs_assault (the one with the counterfeit money in the warehouse). I think I've been flashbanged for a second until the screen goes black and I see the windows startup screen. But it doesn't happen frequently at all, at least not until I walked into the disarm room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:25 am 
Petitioner

I noclipped past that part, and went into the next room. The camera saw me and crashed my computer anyway. So I think the crash is related to the camera seeing me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:08 am 
Petitioner

I did both notarget and ai_disable (each separately and together, three restarts!) but neither worked. As soon as I walked into the room (or as soon as I noclipped past it and walked to where the camera could see me around the door), it crashed.

Any other ideas? Does anybody in the know log in any more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:39 am 
Seeker

well, I'm not exactly "in the know", but I'd guess your problem isn't likely to be Minerva related. I'm guessing you've read Cargo Cult's (Adam's) posts on this very page? Minerva shouldn't be able to crash your system if everything else was indeed fine. I'm guessing you tried the 'Verify integrity of game cache' like Cargo Cult suggested above? And updated your videocard drivers? Did you try going through the similar part near the end of Half-life 2?
I think we've all had weird crashing problems before that can be a pain to track down. If all else fails, try this method, and let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:39 am 
Horseman of the Apocalypse
 WWW  Profile

Do you get a BSOD? The error code can help determine the source of the bug.

From http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/russel_02may13.mspx
Quote:
To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:07 pm 
Petitioner

No blue screen of death. Just a pop and the screen flashes white for an instant, goes black, and windows starts up like nothing's wrong. No error messages.

I've not sacrificed any goats. I did go back and do the part of EP1 where the confiscation field does weird stuff to the gravity gun. Nothing abnormal happened. I'll go back and see if HL2 does the same thing.

I'll re-verify the integrity of my game cache just to be sure, I did it recently so I didn't think it would be necessary to do again.

Thanks for the help, I just hope I can get to the rest of the game, the first half was amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:13 pm 
Seeker

Forgive me if you've tried this already, but one thing that is sometimes helpful in tracking down crashes is the windows event viewer. If you right click on 'my computer', select 'manage', then expand 'System Tools'->'Event Viewer'->'System'. It will give you a long list of 'events' which should include any errors with the time the error happened so you can hopefully correlate the error to your crash. ('System Tools'->'Event Viewer'->'Application' also sometimes has useful info.) If there is no error associated with the crash then you're out of luck with this approach, but if there is you can double click on it and it will give you some info about the error which may be useful.
Valve's tech support may be able to help. Or of course the goat bit..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:49 pm 
Petitioner

Nothing in the event viewer. Went back and played that part of HL2, confiscation field worked fine, just like in HL2EP1.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next