MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think countdown is actually for?
Poll ended at Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:13 pm
The end of the world 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
The end of the forum posts 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
The release of the 3rd episode of Minerva 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:17 am 
Acolyte

It couldn't be the simplicity of a forum deletion. You just don't count something like that down. Such would be the worst of all anti-climax's. Even worse than the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Thus I'd be inclined towards the end of the world or the release of what has been waited for. But since I can't vote, I won't.

Murphy's Law, learn it. Learn it well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:13 am 
Scribe

General Balls wrote:
It couldn't be the simplicity of a forum deletion. You just don't count something like that down. Such would be the worst of all anti-climax's. Even worse than the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Thus I'd be inclined towards the end of the world or the release of what has been waited for. But since I can't vote, I won't.

The reason you cant vote is because this forum was for all intents and purposes deleted once already. So in your ignorance you have claimed that you don't believe in what actually happened. That's OK though. You weren't around then to know about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:39 am 
Horseman of the Apocalypse

It appears to you that it has already happened. Maybe your memories are mere constructs, designed to lend credence to a certain version of the past that suits... certain figures. Don't trust them.

Similarly, speculation as to the meaning of the countdown - even with its stark and apparently obvious surtitling - is fruitless, as is all speculation on what is to come.

Rather, concentrate on what you know of now. And try to figure out a way to stop that damned boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:37 am 
Acolyte

parm wrote:
It appears to you that it has already happened. Maybe your memories are mere constructs, designed to lend credence to a certain version of the past that suits... certain figures. Don't trust them.

More likely your memories are unreliable due to the fact that they're your memories. They are tainted by your opinions and discriminations. Whenever you remember something, you are mentally incapable of viewing that memory objectively. Added to this, many events you remember are cunningly manipulated by your mind, thus making the memory standing you in a more favourable light than what actually happened. This type of tampering is so subtle as to be subconcious, it happens to all of us.

Never trust your memory. Use it, exploit it, but never trust it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:14 pm 
Acolyte

General Balls wrote:
parm wrote:

More likely your memories are unreliable due to the fact that they're your memories. They are tainted by your opinions and discriminations. Whenever you remember something, you are mentally incapable of viewing that memory objectively. Added to this, many events you remember are cunningly manipulated by your mind, thus making the memory standing you in a more favourable light than what actually happened. This type of tampering is so subtle as to be subconcious, it happens to all of us.

Never trust your memory. Use it, exploit it, but never trust it.

except that in this case, there is documentation. there is a 7 or so month gap from the last of the yester-posts, and the first posts of this eons forum. also, this forum was cached by google during the absence. that leads me to trust my memories, but perhaps not either of you.

a veil you may pull before the eyes of the willing will not so easily cloud my perceptual intake. wisdom without reasoning makes you see worse than the blind, a sort of negative knowledge, in a way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:08 pm 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

vecima wrote:
except that in this case, there is documentation. there is a 7 or so month gap from the last of the yester-posts, and the first posts of this eons forum. also, this forum was cached by google during the absence. that leads me to trust my memories, but perhaps not either of you.

You should know all too well that any documentation can be faked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:05 am 
Acolyte

vecima wrote:

Sure there is documentation, but you'll be reading that out of context. Your thoughts now won't be exactly the same as your thoughts at the time. Opinions may have changed, old thoughts seem ridiculous now. You even may have said things you don't mean.

I am not gullible enough to completly trust my memories. Despite the inaccuracies of it, we rely on it with a passion. Many of us make the sometimes fatal mistake of trusting it. But not I.

Post subject: Guard thyself against the evil chatter!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:22 pm 
Scribe

This chatter sounds like when ones enemies have captured you and try to convince you that you are crazy and that to cure you the just need to perform this one procedure and all will be well. When in fact you are not insane nor have ever been, and the procedure is designed to make you powerless to stop them from completing their evil plan...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:44 pm 
Acolyte

uhh, yeah i guess it does have that sort of ring to it, doesn't it?

my memories while imperfect are a far more reliable indicator of what was then the text that pours from your end of the tubes. you would have me rely on YOUR memories? the recollection of events tainted by YOUR biases and principles? think again.

Post subject: FORUM TOPIC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:18 pm 
Scribe

You may be able to debate about the accuracy of my memory (although I trust it to be fairly correct), however when I created this forum topic it was for discussing Half-life 2 or Minerva so lets try to get back to the topic intended.

What elements from Ep.1 do you hope to see in either Depth Charge (aka Metastasis 3) or future chapters?

I think those Stalkers are cool if implemented right. You would probably need an outdoor area to do it right.

Anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:55 pm 
Scribe

I think it'd be interesting to fight our way along a train, ala the Stalker train but far longer, while it's moving at high speed. I am reminded suddenly of a map from Unreal Tournament.

Unpredictable, sudden shifts in gravity or magnetism (like the light bridge scenes) could be interesting to play with. I bet Adam could come up with some interesting applications.

I'm sure the dark matter reactor effect could be used very well, but I can't imagine how exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:36 pm 
Scribe

That gravity idea sounds like it has some real potential. But I think the implementation would be everything. If done wrong it could just end up being cheesy.

Something for the final chapter perhaps...to come face to face (as much as possible) with Minerva herself. How that would play out will depend on how the relationship between Minerva and the player unfolds as we march through the rest of the Minerva chapters. So it's basically up to Adam whether it ends up being a good and happy meeting or a confrontational one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:44 pm 
Acolyte

either my memory fails me, or there were hints of something waiting for you beyond the door? a little friend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:22 pm 
Scribe

Eric wrote:
either my memory fails me, or there were hints of something waiting for you beyond the door? a little friend?

I'm only excited to see this "friend" if its name is Dog. After all "friend" is only one letter different than "fiend". :)

I can only imagine what Minerva has up her proverbial sleeve this time around. It can't be too nice. Nice has never exactly been her style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:11 pm 
Acolyte

Nesretep wrote:
Eric wrote:

I'm only excited to see this "friend" if its name is Dog. After all "friend" is only one letter different than "fiend". :)

I can only imagine what Minerva has up her proverbial sleeve this time around. It can't be too nice. Nice has never exactly been her style.

odd that in your quote my name was changed to Eric.
is there a goddess involved in this odd perterbation?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next