MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

Would you like Someplace Else to be ported to the Source Engine?
Yes! 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
No! 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
I don't know... 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I don't care. 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Petition: Someplace Else
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:46 pm 
Acolyte

Taking into account that I have already made such request and Adam declined; knowing in advance that this is most likely a futile deed, a lost cause, I say:

Please make a port of Someplace Else to the Source Engine.

The reasons, selfish as they may be, are the following:
  1. It will look better, even though there are going to be some inconsistencies between the graphical quality of various parts.
  2. Some people don't have the original Half-Life, playing it only by buying the Gold/Silver/Bronze package and playing the Source port and it wouldn't be too smart to buy Half-Life a second time.
  3. Porting is relatively easy, and shouldn't take much time, but much more people will be able to play the game.

And I must follow, if I can.

Post subject: Re: Petition: Someplace Else
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:12 pm 
Scribe

I used to own the original Half-Life but the CD's were destroyed in a move so having a port of Someplace Else to the Source engine would be awesome, however I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

We are already looking at waiting (with much anticipation) for what feels like an eternity for Depth Charge to be released, and this would likely delay it further or we would have to wait a long time for the port to take place.

That aside, I think that it would rock to move it to Source.

Post subject: The less you want, the more you have...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:16 pm 
Acolyte

Just remember: I'm not asking for a complete makeover, just a regular port, like Half-Life: Source...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:25 pm 
Scribe

A direct port wouldn't do it justice. Half Life: Source is pathetic graphic wise. Look at the time and effort Black Mesa: Source has had put into it. That kind of commitment and quality is the only way I'd like Someplace Else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:58 pm 
Scribe

Kastanok wrote:
A direct port wouldn't do it justice. Half Life: Source is pathetic graphic wise. Look at the time and effort Black Mesa: Source has had put into it. That kind of commitment and quality is the only way I'd like Someplace Else.

I have to agree with Kastanok on this one. Half-life: Source was a disappointment if you ask me which is why I look forward to the Black Mesa Project being completed. Only a full conversion would really be acceptable, not only to the fans who have played it before, but also (I'm sure) to Adam. Judging by his other work, he doesn't go for mediocre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:56 am 
Acolyte

his mapping is awesome, but a port to source other than a port to HL: source, would require modelling new bumblebeemen, (i forget if there were other monsters too)....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:47 am 
Scribe

It may be my pathetic memory playing tricks on me but I believe there were Houndeyes too. I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, perhaps the Master could come back to this idea after Black Mesa: Source is released. All their models and textures would make things a whole lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:20 pm 
Acolyte

this is true...
i am hoping they are open with the rest of the community, as some of their work would make my current endeavor loads easier.

Post subject: Ressurection
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:47 am 
Acolyte

Let's bring back this subject to the light of day, shall we? I'd really like to see Someplace Else ported to the Source Engine; of course after Metastasis is finished. So, without further ado...

Make the port! Make the port! Puh-leaze make the port!

That should be enough... for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:29 am 
Acolyte

Kastanok wrote:

But think, if Valve put that much effort into a remake of HL we'd probably only just now be booting up HL2 on our computers. They probably just wanted to move on to the new game.

But I agree that ports don't work.

Murphy's Law, learn it. Learn it well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:32 pm 
Acolyte

A port to Source is quite doable, though I don't expect it after Metastasis, and I don't want it after Metastasis. After Chronoclasm, who knows? It's too early to see a jump back to Minerva's roots. I say move on now, reminisce later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 am 
Inductee

vecima wrote:
his mapping is awesome, but a port to source other than a port to HL: source, would require modelling new bumblebeemen, (i forget if there were other monsters too)....

Actually, I might even know how to help with that (they are called Aliengrunt, by the way) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_P_gNM62g

I don't think there were Houndeyes in Someplace Else, thou... bullsquids atleast one

Post subject: Re: Petition: Someplace Else
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:49 am 
Inductee

Nesretep wrote:
I used to own the original Half-Life but the CD's were destroyed in a move so having a port of Someplace Else to the Source engine would be awesome, however I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

I know it has been some time since you posted this, but if you still have your Half Life CD key, you can lock it to your Steam account and download it through Steam by using the register a game option. In fact you can do this with any Valve game.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]