[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
MINERVA - read-only archives • View topic - INCOMING TRANSMISSION - Discussion

MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: INCOMING TRANSMISSION - Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:51 pm 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

Oh it was simple. I noticed how the numbers could be split into bunches of three, where all numbers were below 256, bytes that is. So I just took every byte manually using an online converter and coverted it into hex decimals and saved it as a binary file.

Or am I simply on the wrong track and should I treat this as numbers, not as bytes? I'm completely lost in how to decode this piece of information, esspecially now knowing the key is encoded too, I have little clue.

Can anyone PM me an example showcasing a similar decryption method without spoiling too much? Is this a Unencrypted text = Encrypted text - Key?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:58 pm 
Seeker

As I said, you don't need the 'key', and you are on the right track.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:22 pm 
Seeker

How can there be a key that you don't need? If the message in encrypted, then from what I've read, you need the key to figure it out (so says ). Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't need the key to decipher the text, then the encryption is pretty pointless.

For the nth time, if someone wants to have mercy on the unenlightened, drop me PM. And now, back to Google. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:30 pm 
Seeker

Sorry, maybe 'key' isn't technically correct. I just mean it's a clue. One that would help if you can understand it, but isn't absolutely necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:39 pm 
Acolyte

There are sometimes other ways through a door, other than just the key.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:55 pm 
Inductee

For anyone having difficulty with the pronunciation of the numbers within the transmission, I've knocked-up something that may help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:02 pm 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

Hahaha brilliant solution. My hint is stay simple, remember the sequence of letters when decoding the data and then google the mysterious results. Now to figure out what this means!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:18 am 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

212 201 213 197 217 229 193

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:34 am 
Seeker

122 093

(also, nice work Monkfish!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:23 am 
Inductee

Wow, I just wasted my entire afternoon and feel like i have gotten no where. I wrote out the numbers and I've converted them every possible way, from DEC to HEX, Binary, ASCII; then i was converting them with ROT47 and I even read that whole wiki write up on the number station; and I'm just now frustrated. If anyone here could give me a really big hint or just blatantly tell me how to figure this out, It'd be very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:06 pm 
Inductee

I must admit, this puzzle has been fascinating; I've learnt how to count in Polish and discovered a whole new world regarding the existence of the (somewhat creepy) Number Stations which I knew nothing about before. And, of course, there's the message itself. Great stuff.

Kudos to Adam, and anyone else that helped devise this minor mystery. It really enhances the MINERVA atmosphere...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 pm 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

Hey Lewk. Stop reading when you don't need more spoilers. A telephone number is dialed in the sound file. Try and figure out what that is. It's written on the first page in this thread. ;-). Let's just say it's a very primively encoded text string that gives away what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:04 pm 
Inductee

That's fantastic. I wrote it out by hand as i listened to the message (as it was evident that i wrote some numbers down wrong), and it was rather exciting. I never knew something so dull to be so exhilarating.

So how do we discuss what the message means without spoiling it for everyone?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:42 pm 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

We make a topic with the name "[BIG MASSIVE SPOILER] Discussion"?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:53 pm 
Inductee

Wow, I must be too sleepy. I've spent awhile trying to figure this thing out and I cant see how the phone number can be converted to text. Does that hint get any clearer perhaps? without spoiling it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next