[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
MINERVA - read-only archives • View topic - [BIG MASSIVE SPOILER] Discussion

MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: [BIG MASSIVE SPOILER] Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 pm 
Acolyte

So now we all know what the message said.
(if not ).

Thoughts? Apart from a massive pat on the back to Adam of course :)

Immediate reaction from me is relief that Valve have their eye on the ball with Ep3, slight worry that this means a delay in Oot, and a thought:
Will this lead to Minerva and the events of Metastasis becoming part of the HL2 canon?
After all, Portal ended up getting written in...
Personally I'd love it if Minerva got written in to HL2 in subtle ways and Adam was free to release the rest of the Minerva trilogy as a legit side story to Gordon et al.

Post subject: Re: [BIG MASSIVE SPOILER] Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:03 am 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

The story of MINERVA already works with the HL2 as it only introduces new places and characters that doesn't conflict with main HL2 story at all. But yeah, MINERVA being a Valve project would be awesome, but on the other hand, would this survive as a commercial project? It's only meant to be a mod.

I hope Adam keeps working hard on the MINERVA project, even if Ep3 will eat loads of his time, because I really want to see where this is going.

What I found funny, was the the coordinates didn't really point to the Valve building, the nearest building was actually Microsoft. xD. That part scared me.

I look forward to see what happens next, I just hope this wont be the end! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:55 am 
Acolyte

I'm very happy for Adam I must say- he's earned his employment and given me hope in the process. I, too, want to make it big in the games industry, but with all of the outsourcing to various places most companies have been doing lately I'm worried that I might have to move to China or something to get a gaming job.

To other game companies: Modders are invaluable because they can do things with your technology that you may never even have thought of. Minerva and it's vertical level design is a prime and professional example of this.

Here's to hoping that OoT makes it to us before Ep3. (Or we could wait and see if it winds up on Ep3 engine tech...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:36 pm 
Horseman of the Apocalypse

As a games industry escapee who has gone on record as saying that he will only go back if (1) things change dramatically compared to when I left or (2) if I could work at Valve, I have nothing but admiration (and no small amount of jealousy) for Adam; this is further magnified by actually knowing him in that there real life thing. Smart level design is a rare thing and Adam is better at it than a considerable number of people who've been doing it professionally for years. Bloody well done, that man. Bloody well done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:40 am 
Seeker

Obviously this is an exciting opportunity for Adam, and it's great for Valve (!), though I am a tad worried for poor old Minerva. All we've got to go on at the moment is "I seriously suspect this isn't the end for this particular chain of experiments in designing single-player Half-Life 2 maps". Could be worse, but it also says pretty clearly to me that it'll be on the back burner for at least the foreseeable future. If our only hope is '..well maybe after episode 3 comes out...' we're already looking into a far away and hazy future. I hope I'm just being pessimistic. We could of course read what he said to suggest that it's possible that Minerva could become a Valve project at some point. (remember though that the Portal team was hired to make Portal, which doesn't seem to be the case here.) Or maybe he'll still find some spare time to throw at it. But if it's his day job, will he want to do it as a hobby? Maybe the rest of the Minerva story will come out in some other form? Like a short story? A home-made animated movie? A puppet show perhaps? (I also wonder if this decision/offer was made after Adam made that Out of Time page?)

If he's reading, I don't suppose he'd be willing to elaborate on his thoughts for Minerva's future, uncertain though they may be?

(and parm, worked anywhere we'd be familiar with?)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 am 
Horseman of the Apocalypse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:52 am 
Acolyte

I suppose "direct download of MINERVA from Steam for those who own at least one Half-Life episode" would be absolutely cromulent, myself ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:13 am 
Acolyte

Wouldn't it be great to see Ole Perseus, turn out to be Alan Shepard?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:48 pm 
Acolyte

You mean Adrian Shepard of OpFor fame? Unlikely, if you ask me.
I think having the main protagonist's identity being a mystery actually enhances the experience, making it a more personal Half Life story.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:09 pm 
Acolyte

Yeah, where did I get Alan.......

Anyway..... I CAN DREAM CANT I

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:18 pm 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

Alan Shepard kinda cracked me up. Well played sir.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:15 am 
Acolyte

Hmm... In my opinion the fact that the Microsoft building is closer is coincidental - hopefully. I'm having trouble seeing any other hidden meanings in this one. Methinks he's just showing us on a map where he works.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]