MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:14 pm 
Horseman of the Apocalypse
 WWW  Profile

Nesretep wrote:
OK, let me get this right. You think the Valve Complete Pack is silly, but you bought the id Super Pack. Hmmm...you made the right choice in staying silent. :D

I actually got into gaming in 1999 and HL was my first FPS. Then I discovered Baldur's Gate and consumed greedily the slew of cRPGs that followed. I had a vague kind of awareness of Doom and Quake, but never got the chance to play them. Right now, I'm having a blast catching up on the games I never played. Retrogaming? I suppose so. There are also a couple of mods for RTCW that I'd like to look at from a localization's point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:16 pm 
Scribe

locworks wrote:
Nesretep wrote:
OK, let me get this right. You think the Valve Complete Pack is silly, but you bought the id Super Pack. Hmmm...you made the right choice in staying silent. :D

I actually got into gaming in 1999 and HL was my first FPS. Then I discovered Baldur's Gate and consumed greedily the slew of cRPGs that followed. I had a vague kind of awareness of Doom and Quake, but never got the chance to play them. Right now, I'm having a blast catching up on the games I never played. Retrogaming? I suppose so. There are also a couple of mods for RTCW that I'd like to look at from a localization's point of view.

OK, that makes much more sense and is a valid excuse for what might otherwise appear as hypocrisy... ;) Besides, old games can be fun. There had to be good gameplay because the graphics looked anything but real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:11 pm 
Seeker

Retrogaming, good term. I'm in a vaguely similar situation. I played NES a ton when I was a wee tike, then Doom II once on a friends computer in high school. But that was pretty much it for me until Doom 3 came out. Having just bought a new computer, I thought it would be a good opportunity to see what it can do. I was totally blown away by it (keep in mind my only point for comparison was Doom II.) That may have been it again though, but I had a gift certificate to an electronics store and so decided to give this Half-life 2 thing a try. I've been pretty much hooked ever since.

But, I'm still not huge into older games. I retro-played Half-life 1 and while it was good, I didn't appreciate it nearly as much as 2. I even tried Quake (1) but got bored with it pretty rapidly.

I guess I like the realism, immersion and story telling in modern FPS's. Well, good ones at least. (Quake 4 was just about as dull for me as Quake 1). And the good graphics have a lot to do with that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2