MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: M:M port to Xbox
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:39 am 
Horseman of the Apocalypse
 WWW  Profile

From http://www.invertedcastle.com/archives/2007/10/31/merciful-minerva/ and reported on the blog beast by Huntus.

Quote:
Valve, if you’re reading, please offer Adam Foster a job on HL2: Episode Three, and please work with him to port MINERVA: Metastasis to an XBL download for the Orange Box so the 360 people can also enjoy this masterpiece.

I'm blissfully ignorant of the way mods work on the Xbox. As blasphemous as it may sound to some, can M:M be made playable on an Xbox?

[edit: grammar]

Last edited by locworks on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:06 pm 
Scribe

Blasphemous, indeed! M:M on a console...I thought it traitorous enough that Valve released Orange Box for those folks anyway. Not that it wasn't inevitable, but the HL fanbase has historically(sp?) been almost entirely comprised of PC gamers with little in the way of console fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:25 pm 
Acolyte

Since they didn't sacrifice anything gameplay-wise to port the game, I don't mind at all. Why should I? Likewise, if Adam got a job at Valve and M:M got ported to the consoles, I wouldn't mind either. Perhaps I would be happy he would get a broader audience, even.

And I must follow, if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:57 pm 
Acolyte

While I would obviously be happy for Adam if the game was ported, and exposed to a larger audience, I feel it would be yet another blow to PC gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:58 pm 
Scribe

Nesretep wrote:
Blasphemous, indeed! M:M on a console...I thought it traitorous enough that Valve released Orange Box for those folks anyway. Not that it wasn't inevitable, but the HL fanbase has historically(sp?) been almost entirely comprised of PC gamers with little in the way of console fans.

Yeah that's right...I quoted myself. ;)

I guess I am somewhat biased after seeing to many good games get ruined by being made for consoles at the same time they do it for PC. Case in point: Deus Ex: Invisible War. Deus Ex rocked and so I thought the sequel would be good too. So I spend $50 dollars on the game when it first comes out and come to find they have "consolized" the game. They stripped it of much of the RPG element that made it fun beyond the standard FPS stuff and gave it a interface that was obviously carried over from the console version. If you've been playing PC games for long you're probably already aware of how crappy it ended up being compared to the original.

If a developer can maintain the integrity of the product in porting over to PC from console or from PC to console, then I guess that's OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

So has PC gaming completed the Chamber 19 test and is it heading towards the incinerator? I doubt it is, but I'd love to hear your arguments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:04 am 
Scribe

locworks wrote:
So has PC gaming completed the Chamber 19 test and is it heading towards the incinerator? I doubt it is, but I'd love to hear your arguments.

Don't be daft.

There have always been cries of "PC games are dead!", "Consoles will destroy gaming", "The sky is falling" etc etc. And yet we endure. Funny, heh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:23 am 
 WWW  Profile

Kastanok wrote:
There have always been cries of "PC games are dead!", "Consoles will destroy gaming", "The sky is falling" etc etc. And yet we endure. Funny, heh?

Funny and intriguing. Looking at the comments higher in this thread, as well as the negative comments about the Achievements system in Ep 2, there is something to these cries. What's the grain of truth in the alarmist opinions, if there is one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:30 am 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

PC gaming isn't dead, it's just moving down the long tail - something which Valve have recognised and are capitalising on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:12 pm 

I know from... people... that high budget PC gaming is seen as a far riskier prospect than console gaming at the moment, unless you're either Valve or Blizzard. That said, there's been something of a resurgence in the casual gaming market on the PC and it has to be said, if there's anything that'd tempt me back into games development, it'd be the possibility of working on short-term smaller-budget casual/arcade titles with a greater focus on fun and less pressure from the money-men to produce a guaranteed #1 multi-million-selling uberhit (been there, done that, had the bad IP and lack of finance, got the 55% reviews, can't be bothered any more). That, or Valve offer me a job, but that ain't realistically gonna happen in this lifetime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:10 pm 
Scribe

fitzroy_doll wrote:
PC gaming isn't dead, it's just moving down the long tail - something which Valve have recognised and are capitalising on.

I know this is off topic, but then again this is the "Distractions" forum: why is it that some people refer to Valve in a pluralistic manner? Valve is a singular entity. Therefore the quote above should read "...Valve has recognized and is capitalising on." I know you're all thinking, "Look out it's the Grammar Police!" It's an honest question though, plus when you live with an English major for a wife it rubs off on you. ;)

Back on topic:

I don't think PC gaming is dead, but I think that consoles are capable of doing more damage than before. Some of the things that were exclusive to PC gaming have also become part of console gaming now (like downloading new content and online gaming). People are more comfortable with consoles as gaming machines than PCs in many cases. The general public still sees PCs as glorified typewriters or internet browsing devices rather than game machines. I mean, how many times growing up did your parents buy a new computer and tell you that this one isn't for games?

Last edited by Nesretep on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:56 pm 
Acolyte
 WWW  Profile

Nesretep wrote:
fitzroy_doll wrote:

I know this is off topic, but then again this is the "Distractions" forum: why is it that some people refer to Valve in a pluralistic manner? Valve is a singlular entity.

In the UK we refer to collective nouns as either singular or plural. Generally, the plural is used if the writer is referring to actions. This makes it clear that the individuals within the organisation are the ones taking the decisions. If you wanted to have fun with grammar, the dangling preposition was a much easier target (should have been The long tail of gaming is something Valve have recognised and upon which they are capitalising.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:11 pm 
Scribe

fitzroy_doll wrote:
Nesretep wrote:
fitzroy_doll wrote:

I know this is off topic, but then again this is the "Distractions" forum: why is it that some people refer to Valve in a pluralistic manner? Valve is a singlular entity.

In the UK we refer to collective nouns as either singular or plural. Generally, the plural is used if the writer is referring to actions. This makes it clear that the individuals within the organisation are the ones taking the decisions. If you wanted to have fun with grammar, the dangling preposition was a much easier target (should have been The long tail of gaming is something Valve have recognised and upon which they are capitalising.)

That makes sense. I was just curious because I see this plural way of referring to Valve used in various places and have wondered about it before. It just felt odd, to be honest. Not so much trying to play editor (I leave that to locworks :) ), but just finally had to know. I guess I didn't realize how different british english and american english can be at times. I wasn't even really aware of the difference in spelling on some words like capitalizing vs capitalising, etc. until more recently. I just thought it was being misspelled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:46 am 
Scribe

Nesretep wrote:
I wasn't even really aware of the difference in spelling on some words like capitalizing vs capitalising, etc. until more recently. I just thought it was being misspelled.

It is. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:44 am 
Acolyte

This reminds me of a Pratchett quote: "The people who gleefully talk about the death of the printed word are the ones who don't read it in the first place because they find it too difficult and it isn't cool."

The way I see it, it's no different than PC versus Mac, or Playstation versus X-Box. They are different ways of spending our time, yes, but so's a book versus TV, or even one book versus another. Sure, one's more popular than the other, but when isn't that the case?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next