[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
MINERVA - read-only archives • View topic - Portal

MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Portal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:26 pm 
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:51 am 
Acolyte

I dunno, how much do vinyl cutters cost? ;)

And yes. That is among the awesomest cases ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:15 pm 
Acolyte

handily I work for a company that makes them, and our cheapest is £500, which is quite steep for a hobbyist .
(ask me nicely and I might be able to do the odd sticker)

I've still yet to thing of a good use for one, but my next computer will at least have some pretty decals on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:42 pm 
Acolyte

http://halflife2.filefront.com/potd/97017

Theres a picture at that link. I had never even considered how insanely HARD portal could be in an asymetrical environment. HAs anyone seen any maps that are not inside the test lab?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 am 
Acolyte

On the subject of a Portal sequel, I'd like to see a version of Portal where you could switch the effects of gravity. For example being able to die by falling into the sky, or perhaps repeatedly moving the direction of gravity such that you could move various objects to hit different triggers and open different sections of the map. (partially inspired by that Bestheda Softworks guy who did that portal map that rotated the stage) Or perhaps being able to reverse a room to make all the turrets fall.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:24 am 
Acolyte

Portal meets Super Mario Galaxy? Count me in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:49 pm 
Scribe

It sounds like Portal meets Prey to me. They have switches in Prey that can change the direction of the gravity depending on the switch you hit. Using them allows you to access areas that would otherwise be inaccessable and obtain items otherwise out of reach.

Community Relations Team Lead
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:15 pm 
Acolyte

Actually when I played Prey for the first time (a couple weeks ago... I know, I'm behind =P) I instantly thought "Portal meets Super Mario Galaxy" because Prey has portals that reminded me instantly of the first rooms of Portal. They're there, but you don't say what they do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:42 am 
Acolyte

Now you're thinking with ... uh ... Super Mario Galaxies? But yes, I second that it would be awesome.

I once brought a portal gun into a freeform messageboard RPG (acquired, for convoluted reasons, at a time traveller's convention during the RP). I then proceeded, in a number of ways, to think with portals. ;) Of course, again, it's tempered by the difficulty in finding suitable surfaces ...

Post subject: Game Developers Choice Awards 2007 - Nominees
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:49 am 
Horseman of the Apocalypse
 WWW  Profile

Guess which I game I will be voting for?
http://www.gamechoiceawards.com/

Game of the Year
BioShock
Call of Duty 4
Portal
Rock Band
Super Mario Galaxy

Best Writing
Portal
God of War II
Mass Effect
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
BioShock

Best Game Design
BioShock
Call of Duty 4
Mass Effect
Portal
Super Mario Galaxy

Best Technology
Halo 3
Crysis
Call of Duty 4
Portal
Assassin's Creed

Innovation Award
Rock Band
Portal
flOw
Peggle
Mass Effect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:36 am 
Acolyte

Its a shame, the Source Engine, doesn't get the mainstream attention it deserves. When you look at all of the things you can do with it (The variety of games on the engine should speak for itself), I mean look at the kinds of videos and things you can make with GMOD. Show me ONE game that has an engine more deserving of infinite praise. The only game I can think of that comes close to Source physics wise, is TES IV: Oblivion, with the way you can carry around items and set them. The ONLY complaint I have about the source engine is thier answer to recoil on weapons. They could have done much better than a cone, in which the bullets randomly disperse.

but I digress.

Portal is the SHIZZZZZZZZNNNNAAAAAAAAAA and I cant wait to see how its going to fit the big HL picture

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:18 pm 
Scribe

I just got my March Issue of PC Gamer (US) the other day and Portal garnered the "Puzzle Game of the Year" award. The overall game of the year went to Crysis with Bioshock being the runner-up. No other HL games won any awards in any other categories, just Portal. :(

Community Relations Team Lead
Community Member

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3