[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
MINERVA - read-only archives • View topic - Movies

MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Movies
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:31 pm 
Petitioner

On the same basic subject, but not literary, how about some pompous visual entertainment discussion? I vote for Ghost in the Shell. Now now, hold on! Yes, I know that right now at least 50% of the people reading this post are scoffing and moving on to other things. Just wait a minute.

Yes, it's anime, but you should not just right it off because of that. I find that many people who have a hatred of anime just on basic principle do so because their only exposure to it is watching a few minutes of the crap that seems to catch on over here in the US. Anime is not a genre, it's a medium that just like books and live-action film contains every genre you can think of: romance, comedy, magical girls (lol Japan) mecha, horror etc.

Case in point, if your only knowledge of anime is of trash like this , you can be forgiven for dismissing it.

However, allow me to present to you exhibit a. .
This, my friends, this is real anime. It should also be required viewing for anyone who likes Minerva, because it appeals to the same kind of audience ie people who don't need their storylines spelled out to them, and like good, deep writing.

Also try Evangelion (trust me, it's not about giant robots, not really) and Ergo Proxy, though that one is more of a "nice try, better luck next time" kind of show.

[moderator edit: topic split]

Post subject: Re: Movies
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 am 
Scribe

I really really really need to get my hands on the Ghost in the Shell: SAC season boxsets.

My experience of anime is very limited, really. All I've seen are Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2, and Appleseed. Oh, and the game Oni. All of those are very similar to one another. GitS and Appleseed are from the same creator (Masamune Shirow) and Oni was heavily inspired by GitS.

So I think that, before I can really participate in a discussion about anime, I need to broaden my experience of the medium.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:21 pm 
Acolyte

Production I.G. should make a film adaptation of Iain M. Banks' Use of Weapons - c.f. the battleship firing upon the mansion in the second Ghost in the Shell film.

Discuss.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:38 am 
Acolyte

I do need to see the GITS films, Stand Alone Complex was brilliant stuff. I'm somewhat versed in anime by way of my diverse group of friends (one is not only obsessed with anime, but with *physics.* Weird.), so I've seen a few things here and there. If you get the time, Eureka Seven is also very good, if you can get past the somewhat corny first few episodes. Anyone see Noein? That show just confused the living hell out of me but maybe you guys would get it more. Too much science involved.

Oh yes, FLCL FTW.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:29 am 
Acolyte

GitS:SAC
ftw

Ah the acronyms! But yes, Stand Alone Complex (especially the second series) is bloody great, plus my bro's girlfriend brought me a decent translation of the original manga which is worth a read if you can find it (ISBN4-7700-2919-5). Evangelion just got a bit too weird for me, instead go find Moonlight Mile, it came out last year (in HD, yummy) and it's pretty well researched scifi about moon bases and all sorts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:07 am 
Acolyte

All I know is that Dark Knight and Iron Man look promising.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:06 pm 
Acolyte

Yes, I need to get back to watching more of GitS:SAC ... I fondly recall hours of entertainment (three, to be precise) from watching FLCL with my dad, too. ;)

Anyone else seen the website ? It's awesome if you've got some time you want dead. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:55 am 
Scribe

As luck would have it, Amazon.co.uk has a load of offers on anime DVDs and I've snapped up the 1st Gig of SAC for . Can't wait for it to arrive!

I am also very, very much looking forward to the Dark Knight. I think this would have been a landmark role in Ledger's career and his portrayal of the Joker will put all others in the shade. I already plan to dress as Ledger's Joker for this year's Halloween and yes, I know, it's months and months away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:03 am 
Petitioner

Ugh, I can't stand FLCL. I gave it a try only because it had the same character designer as Evangelion, but I couldn't get past the first episode, it was just annoying. It was being wacky for the sake of being wacky, and I can't stand that.

Noein was awesome, it actually treated quantum physics realistically (well, mostly). The Appleseed movies are terrible, I only own them because I feel they are a landmark in CGI film making, but they aren't very good as movies.

I'd recommend the Sekai no Senki/Banner of the Stars franchise to anyone looking to get into anime, it's unbelievably awesome (and of course is largely unknown over here), also try Hell Girl, it was good.

I still stand by Neon Genesis Evangelion. You can say it's too weird, but I say it's pretty much the deepest thing you will ever see. For my money the 7 minute Komm Susser Todd sequence from the End of Evangelion movie is the greatest 7 minutes ever put on film. Period, live action, animated, whatever. It's amazing beyond words.

Oh, one more thing, if you're idea of deep film making is crap from people like David Lynch (my hatred for that guy knows no bounds) prepare to have your mind ripped from your head and beaten with hammers when you watch Evangelion. This is real depth, not fake ass "add a bunch of random crap and let the people figure it out" type nonsense to fool people into thinking you are real deep.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:35 pm 
Acolyte

The first time I watched The Evangelion series I was only 9-10 tears old. Now THAT seemed deep/ I had to rewatch them a few years ater, and then I actualy understood, I agree, very deep and well written

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:20 am 
Acolyte

While we're on anime, anyone else seen Moonlight Mile?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:27 pm 
Petitioner

Can't say I have. Swamped with other stuff to watch right now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:16 pm 
Acolyte

Well I've run out of anime to watch, any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:28 pm 
Scribe

Well I've been watching Azumanga Daioh on Google Videos... it's silly, cutesy and childish. Mindless entertainment but appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:57 am 
Acolyte

I just watched some Afro Samuari. Popcorn anime for the masses, but totally awesome super 1337 popcorn anime.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next