MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: After today's HL2 patch update: ED_Alloc: no free edicts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:37 pm 
Petitioner

David-B-737 wrote:
What's the status on the update Adam?
It's been almost a month now...
We still got a chance of getting a fix?

David look above your post, I've made a workaround/patch thingy that fixes the mod.

Using it I've played through the whole game and it seems fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:15 pm 
Petitioner

DaftMink wrote:
David-B-737 wrote:
What's the status on the update Adam?
It's been almost a month now...
We still got a chance of getting a fix?

David look above your post, I've made a workaround/patch thingy that fixes the mod.

Using it I've played through the whole game and it seems fine.

Nice work, It does work fine, But in my original post I meant the update that Adam said he would make, With the detailed VRAD lighting,
I am still looking forward to that one and just interested to know how far the update is since may 30th.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:27 pm 
Inductee

Quote:
I found a workaround that seems to work really well.

I'm sure the official patch will be better then this, but hey here's mine.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... stcount=51

Edit2: Final patch, not sure if it's exactly like before the update.. but it certainly does look it.

Before | After

I tried playing the fix. It works fine until after the long elevator shaft after you lose all your weapons. I get to a point where I see red ERROR signs and purple/black checkerboards everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:30 pm 
Petitioner

TheShowdown wrote:
I tried playing the fix. It works fine until after the long elevator shaft after you lose all your weapons. I get to a point where I see red ERROR signs and purple/black checkerboards everywhere.

Did you try downloading the "Pre-Orange box update Episodic folder"?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:29 pm 
Inductee

I actually am having the same problem with missing textures. I have reinstalled the episode 1 shared.gfc and applied the patch per your instructions. It fixed the no free edicts issue and makes the game playable, but who wants a bunch of error messages floating around. If you guys have a fix for it or can point out what I may have done wrong, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure there are more out there with my same problem.

Post subject: Update pls?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:19 pm 
Petitioner

Adam please make the update ...
I didn't enjoy Minerva for over a month now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:45 am 
Petitioner

Moderator's note: I removed the download link to the underlined assets. If you have Steam, you have access to these files. If you don't have Steam, this really is not the forum to advertise it.

I believe everything should work if you have Half-life 2: Episode 1, and source sdk base 2006 installed.

Those were the games i had installed when testing it, and though i didn't spend much time on the new steam install it should all work fine.

Oh ya almost forgot new steam installs need the original episodic folder's content extracted into the mods metastasis folder.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am 
Inductee

I went ahead and uninstalled everything and followed the directions a second time through. It worked. I don't think I exited out of steam last time; if it made a difference..
Thanks for the updated, was able to finish off the game. Fantastic.

Post subject: Re: Update pls?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:49 am 
Acolyte

David-B-737 wrote:

Update's still pending - I'll try and get it finished soon!

(Been spectacularly busy with other games stuff lately... ;-) )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:22 pm 
Petitioner

DaftMink wrote:
Moderator's note: [...] If you have Steam, you have access to these files.

This is only the case if Episode One has been installed before Valve updated it. Some of the old assets for the Episode One engine are not downloaded any more, because they have been replaced with a version for the Orange Box engine.

Old installs get to keep the old assets which are compatible with the current version of Minerva.

On fresh installs, these assets are only available in their updated form which doesn't work with the fixes / patches made by players. In this case, Minerva looks like this without the file DaftMink linked to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:35 am 
Acolyte

Cargo Cult...Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 am wrote:
The update's pretty seriously huge (basically, everything's moved to a much more recent version of the engine) so it's not surprising there are problems. I've no idea what the plan was regarding savegames, but it might be best to start that particular map again. (Sorry...)

I'm looking into getting a patch out fairly soon - which should add things like fixed animated waves, working models for the globes and security signs, and Mac support. (Ohyes!)

Cargo Cult....Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 am wrote:
David-B-737 wrote:

Update's still pending - I'll try and get it finished soon!

(Been spectacularly busy with other games stuff lately... ;-) )

Adam,
As the creator of (the excellent!!!) Metastasis mod if anyone can fix it you can!

(I know you're busy, but with you working at Valve/having internal contacts that have knowledge of how the "new" 5-2010 Mac enabled 2009 source engine works.... "Fixing" Metastasis would be a "cake-walk" for you compared to someone that is starting from scratch with your internal knowledge of the mod and how it functions... After all it was your "baby" so to speak so YOU know it better than anyone.)

(Edit, posted the below before seeing the above quoted section dated Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49, hopefully the info might help someone doing a search that's having problems with Metastasis after going on-line that's wondering why Metastasis is crashing so I leave the below section in.)

I'm wondering about the progress of a patch to address problems introduced by the new engine as I accidentally started STEAM in On-line mode 7-7-2010, the net effect of this STEAM, Half-life games auto updated to the "new" (05-2010) Mac-supporting "Source 2009" engine branch update.

The result of this "update" Metastasis crashing hard, waves, (sun?) etc looking like crap, getting node graph out of date: rebuilding error messages as I detailed HERE:http://www.hylobatidae.org/minerva/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=324&p=2566#p2566

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:50 am 
Acolyte

RE: Metastasis crashing ,locking up, looks like crap after 5-2010 Mac enabled 2009 source engine "update".

Well it's been over a MONTH since my last post of 7-14-2010.

Any word on the "official" Metastasis patch?

Has the patch, /a beta of the patch been posted yet?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:56 pm 
Petitioner

Hello,
It's almost September now and I'm sitting in patience and not playing Minerva.
Adam, I understand that you work at Valve and that you have a lot of things need to be done, But please, Remember what got you to Valve, Please do not forget this project that changed your life, There are many fans out there waiting for an update, And many more might become fans after the update.
All I ask is
To know if there is going to be an update, and if yes then what's the progress on it.
Thanks,
David.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:12 pm 
Acolyte

David-B-737 wrote:
Hello,
It's almost September now and I'm sitting in patience and not playing Minerva.
Adam, I understand that you work at Valve and that you have a lot of things need to be done, But please, Remember what got you to Valve, Please do not forget this project that changed your life, There are many fans out there waiting for an update, And many more might become fans after the update.
All I ask is
To know if there is going to be an update, and if yes then what's the progress on it.
Thanks,
David.

Well said.

I will add that

It would be a shame if Adam never finishes a proper patch that addresses problems caused by the May-2010 engine (cough, cough) "update" as Metastasis was (is) so good it got Mr Foster a job with Valve, and that there are people everyday that are playing it for the first time. To them it's not old hat and they need a patch.

Metastasis is good (Excellent-Better than the Valve stuff)... but the:

May-2010 Mac Enabled engine update
May-2010 Mac Enabled Source 2009 engine
May-2010 Macintosh Friendly, PC Unfriendly, To heck with your existing customer base engine "update".

Really did a disservice to all the hard work that was done to create Metastasis.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:39 am 
Acolyte

I think I just read an entire page's worth of BAWWWWWWWWW.

Adam will fix it when he can. I can imagine he has his hands full working on Portal 2. It's a shame the update broke so many things, but hey- now we have all these cool features to play with in the SDK.

As far as the likely workload of fixing Minerva goes, I'd imagine he'd have to re-bake his custom models to conform to SDK2009 standards, fix up the lighting and model problems, and possibly modify Minerva's speech code to display properly. It's a big workload for a "simple" fix, and will likely take some time to finish. Give him a break, guys. I loved Minerva just as much as you guys, but he'll finish the patch when he can.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next