MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: My fix for Minerva Metastasis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:23 pm 
Petitioner

I should have posted this along time ago in this forum, I'm sorry dudes.

My fixed client can be found here, and also here.

Before | After

Last edited by DaftMink on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My fix for Minerva Metastasis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 pm 
Petitioner

No thank you, I'll wait for the official update from Adam.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:26 pm 
Inductee

You should try it, actually - it works. It's not quite as good as the official patch will be, just by its nature (it reverts all textures to the source 2006 engine), but it makes the game playable, just like it was before valve broke it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:16 am 
Acolyte

DaftMink wrote:
I should have posted this along time ago in this forum, I'm sorry dudes.

My fix can be found here, and I'm willing to answer any questions regarding install.

It's also posted here with the original episode 1 files needed for this patch to work.

This fix just reverts the mod back to how it was before the update nothing more so enjoy.

Before | After

Just tried your patch

Minerva Fix v4.zip
CRC32: 49AEBDDF
MD5: EB3F5B30486D53CE7978A40D72E2B114
SHA-1: 43CAE9A112DD41D86D8A8A794F5B93D886BAE67D

Thank you and everyone that took the time to put this patch together. Was able to play thru sections that have been unplayable since the May-2010 Mac Enabled engine update. (rewrite)
(5-2010 update was downgrade for us PC users, this "update" making most mods unless the mod was very recent unplayable /problematic.)

Hope Valve is happy with the additional Macintosh users they have been able to SELL product to. While I understand the need to advance engine technology, how hard would it be for them to code the "new" engine to look for pointers in the gameinfo file and have the new engine load the correct parameters?

Either that or have options to let the end user "roll-back" a problematic update... it's BS that the "update" can't be rolled-back.

*Note, I'm not a expert on the Valve Source engine, if there is a way to revert back to a previously working configuration (roll-back) please post the info.

Anyways, displeased with Valve... Thankful that there is a patch that works.

PS: Any word on an "Adam Foster, creator of Minvera Official Patch"? There is NO official info posted on the Minerva website, on SteamPowered.com nor major mod sites.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 am 
Acolyte

In case anyone's searching for info on the official patch, here is the only info I've found about it.

Adam Foster, AKA Cargo Cult

Cargo Cult...Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 am wrote:
The update's pretty seriously huge (basically, everything's moved to a much more recent version of the engine) so it's not surprising there are problems. I've no idea what the plan was regarding savegames, but it might be best to start that particular map again. (Sorry...)

I'm looking into getting a patch out fairly soon - which should add things like fixed animated waves, working models for the globes and security signs, and Mac support. (Ohyes!)

Quote:
David-B-737 wrote:
Adam please make the update ...
I didn't enjoy Minerva for over a month now.

Cargo Cult....Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 am wrote:

Update's still pending - I'll try and get it finished soon!

(Been spectacularly busy with other games stuff lately... ;-) )

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:37 am 
Inductee

I'm going to attempt this tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I got an itch for HL2 mods and this one seemed top billing across a lot of places. I was enjoying it until this, now famous, hallway lock-up.

I thought it was my drivers. I spent good time reinstalling them, too.

:(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:17 pm 
Acolyte

thekbob wrote:
I'm going to attempt this tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I got an itch for HL2 mods and this one seemed top billing across a lot of places. I was enjoying it until this, now famous, hallway lock-up.

:(

RE: Minerva Metastasis seemed top billing across a lot of places. I was enjoying it until this, now famous, hallway lock-up.

I've wasted more hours than I care to admit -that's why I'm sort of miffed (displeased) with no roll-back feature. Valve should be ashamed of themselves, the game keeps a log of how many times it has crashed.

After a MAJOR engine re-write-after so may crashes it should prompt the user with the question:

Do you want to revert to a previously working state? /revert to previous software revision?, Click here and select from the list.

(In situations in which the game is not crashing enough to make this error message pop up, but the customer has noticed that the game is all of the sudden not running correctly, when it previously was running P-E-R-F-E-C-T there should be a way to manually revert to a previously working state.
There should be a tab within Steam? that when clicked shows the update history (Major updates especially) that you could click and it shows the history along with options to "ROLL-BACK" to a previous date and time.)

Valve knows damm well that the new engine re-write screwed up a bunch of mods. While it is true mods are not official Valve products, it's the mods that keep people interested in the product. (For us single player persons). Valve has profited (yes profited) from mods over the years, it's sort of a kick in the teeth for them to release a update that has sustained interest in the series over the years.

Additionally I think that it's a heck of a note that the Creator of Minerva Metastasis has not posted info on the website for Minerva about the problems the May-2010 Macintosh Friendly, PC Unfriendly, screw your existing customer base engine "update" has caused along with status reports on how the Creator Created patch is progressing.

Scouring the net there are only tidbits from him about the issues caused by the May-2010 engine re-write. This info should be posted on the Minerva Metastasis website, http://www.hylobatidae.org/minerva/ and be posted in the news section of Minerva Metastasis pages for the mod on Moddb.com, and PlanetPhillp.

Seems like if Minerva was good enough to land the author a job with Valve... Some info would be posted about the status of the patch Mr Foster stated he was working on.

BTW: There's no info about any kind of "problems" on the SteamPowered page for Metastasis- That page should be updated to reflect there HAS been a major engine re-write...and people are having problems. The lack of such is very unprofessional.

(Noticed that the SteamPowered page does have info about BUYING the needed host game to make the mod run)
On the SteamPowered Page it's business as usual, come on in the water is fine...Click HERE to send us your money NOW!

Now some may say, Adam is busy (which I don't doubt) but how long does it take to post such info?

I bet it would take far less time for him to post this info, than you or I, or the thousands upon untold thousands of persons have spent trying to get Minerva Metastasis working again, post May-2010.

*On the patch itself, with the insider info MrFoster has on the mod, and with direct contacts at Valve that he can tap into since he works for Valve now I would think the time to make a official patch would be much less than persons without such insider info / contacts. Considering how good Minerva Metastasis is it deserves nothing less.

One last thing, those here are like those "in-the box", they are like people within a company that are privy to insider info, to them these issues are common knowledge
(Example= The people that re-wrote the engine to make it Macintosh compatible KNEW that the engine operated differently, they KNEW it would break mods).....
Persons outside the box (EG the common customer) who does NOT know everything Valve, does NOT follow which engine is being used and know all the various nuances , and workaround to get the mods working again is not privy to this info and has to spend hours, upon hours of time to get xyz mod working again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]