MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: The great dread crash (of stuttering & locking)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:11 pm 
Acolyte

Hello fellow Acolytes. My computer seems to be having.... complications when running the newest version of MINERVA.
It's an error that I have tried various work-arounds for, but have come up trumps each and every time, unfortunately.
I am, of course, talking about the infinite audio loop/stuttering crash that seems to Plague everything Episode 1-based (or similar, so therefore also Lost Coast & TF2) but not the original Half Life 2 based games.
At random moments, the game will simply freeze, and the audio will loop. Sometimes the crash is instantaneous, other times, I'm able to play an entire map or two before it dies.
Now, I have been able to play Episode 1 without this crash, but that was before I upgraded my wheezing, dying 9800XT (256MB, Shader Model 2.0) to a shiny "new" X1950 PRO (512MB, Shader Model 3.0) (I'm stuck in the wonderful world of AGP) complete with upgraded PSU(from 300W to 450W). This was done in order to play Bioshock, which ran without a hitch. Other games, such as F.E.A.R. (Shame, shame, shame, I know, but it's a good way to see if it's completely the card's fault) ran very smoothly.
I installed the card correctly, I've tried several different versions of the Catalysts(7.7, 7.9, 7.6), with clean installs for the drivers (even cleaned out redundant Registry keys), I've tried the work around suggested by the folks at VALVe involving reducing the Sound Acceleration, and this has done nothing to help either.
I have tried tirelessly to get this to work, but seem to be at my wits end.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Specs: XP SP2, P4 @ 3.0GHz (HT), 1GB RAM, X1950 PRO (512MB, AGP), On Board Audio, 450W PSU, 2 HDD's (recently defragged), one quite horrible DVD ROM (I previously had 2 optical drives, but the new PSU didn't have enough leads for both, so I went with the Burner, but that died and refused to read CD's, leaving me with the disc-sander I call LG)

-Praise be to MINERVA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:36 pm 
Horseman of the Apocalypse
 WWW  Profile

Any BSODs when you crash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:20 pm 
Acolyte

I found that disabling background applications and lowering the graphical settings (especially resolution) make it much better. I think this issue is related to Source's memory management.

And I must follow, if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:55 pm 
Acolyte

The crashes are BSOD-free, and error window free, thus making the ability to track down the source of the problem a bit of a hassle.
I've tried turning down settings, but strangely enough, it ran for even shorter periods of time than if I bumped everything up to full. I'll try running it with absolutely nothing but Steam on, but previous attempts (with AVG off, with the Firewall off, with the stupid advanced mathematics software off) to lower the amount of background memory usage haven't helped, unfortunately.
I find it quite odd that the same computer ran perfectly fine with the same settings, same background environment (except for the Catalyst version, but I'm still waiting for the newer Omega Drivers to cater for the X1950 PRO, which AMD have ditched like a bad smell, it seems), same ingame settings, and with an UPGRADED GPU.
I'm pretty sure that the drivers would be the cause of the issue, but I'll just have to wait and see if the newer Omega Drivers improve the situation.
Thankyou for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:02 pm 
Inductee

Nehaaa! this one one of the problems with HL 2 episode 1

Try this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... count=1247

Post subject: IT LIVES! IT WORKS! GO FORTH & FUNK ON DOWN!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:42 pm 
Acolyte

It LIVES! RISE MINERVA! RISE FROM THE GRAVE & LIVE!
You, sir, are an enlightened soul
or, as this is the MINERVA forum, and we all love our Mythology, a bit of a Pegasus yourself.
Kudos, lonewolf807, kudos indeed.
I'd like to thank you all for your help!
You people certainly know your stuff!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]