MINERVA - read-only archives

Infiltrate. Reveal. Destroy. This forum is gone, but not forgotten.
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think countdown is actually for?
Poll ended at Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:13 pm
The end of the world 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
The end of the forum posts 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
The release of the 3rd episode of Minerva 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:21 pm 
Scribe

I always hear in my mind for the voice of Minerva some cross between SHODAN and [insert sexy actress with silky smooth voice here]. If She didn't sound at least a bit sexy how would you get a metro cop to leave everything behind and be your personal soldier against the Combine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:52 pm 
Scribe

SHODAN and... Elaine Ripley (Sigourney Weaver). Those qualities of anger and cynacism she has, plus the black humour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:28 pm 
Horseman of the Apocalypse
 WWW  Profile

Nesretep wrote:
If She didn't sound at least a bit sexy how would you get a metro cop to leave everything behind and be your personal soldier against the Combine?

Your love story approach opens up interesting possibilities for discussion.

I don't think we've wondered so far about this aspect of Perseus's motivations. Why on Earth does he agree to risk his life? One possibility is love. The beauty is that Minerva doesn't care for Perseus. She sends him on a suicide mission to save the world. Tough love?

As Belkar said after hearing that Varsuvius was married: "So many questions!!!" [url]http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
[/url]

[edit: typo and link]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:35 pm 
Scribe

Yays for OOTS!

I don't believe Perseus had a say in his role for one moment. He was plucked from his duties, probably struck unconcious by the helicopter pilot, and is enslaved as Minerva's personal... play thing.

So you want to strap me to a helicopter, drop me off on a hostile island packed full of Combine, possibly with some sort of super-base, and record the results? ... Where do I sign?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:12 pm 
Acolyte

I always thought Perseus (as we have come to call ourselves, perhaps in an attempt to glorify our actions) never had a chance to disagree. He just finds himself on the island and has to fight for his survival. There are hardly any positive feelings involved in the whole enterprise. Of course, it is likely that in the end we will find out that our hero had something to do with everything that is going on. Adam will no doubt weave the story so that the myth of Perseus will be analogous with his own story, in some way or another.

Also, yay for OotS, indeed. It seems we have found a correlation between Minerva and D&D; it's probably the storytelling, I'd say.

And I must follow, if I can.

Post subject: Wow! Lookie what I did!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm 
Scribe

Now I must say that I never expected that little comment to generate such great responses from some of the veteran acolytes here. Why, I even got a somewhat lengthy response from one of the Horsemen!

locworks wrote:
Your love story approach opens up interesting possibilities for discussion.

I never really thought of it as a love story, so much as Minerva being intriguing (if even that's the right word for what I am thinking of) to our dear Perseus. Enough so that he would leave the relative safety of being part of the establishment and fight against it at Minerva's command.

I can also see it the other way though: you wake up after having been taken out by some unknown pawn and then strapped to the helicopter, only to be dropped off on a secret combine installation and having to fight for your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:23 pm 
Acolyte

i think (i'm going to be catastrophically wrong, but what the hell, right?) that our perseus didn't have to be knocked unconscious. i think either blackmail or maybe just guilt drove him to accept the mission. to my mind it plays out as such:

a metrocop (or some otherwise torn collaborator) sends 'feelers' out into the rebel community. word somehow reaches athena. i think athena is a wolf in sheeps clothing, possibly high ranking. i mean by this that she works for the combine on the surface, the rebels one layer down, and herself or something else entirely (pure scientific inquisitiveness?) even beneath that.

discreet contact is indirectly made by athena. hints and suggestions first. patterns reachable to someone who can think on his feet. perseus finds his way.

perseus wants to make it up to the human race, so he agrees to a dangerous mission. enter a combine chopper pilot greedy enough to give you a lift for extra rations, and cowardly enough to ditch you in a hot LZ.

p.s. forgive my color coded post. work is boring today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:36 pm 
Horseman of the Apocalypse
 WWW  Profile

Nesretep wrote:
I never really thought of it as a love story, so much as Minerva being intriguing (if even that's the right word for what I am thinking of) to our dear Perseus. Enough so that he would leave the relative safety of being part of the establishment and fight against it at Minerva's command.

You bring up even more questions: how can one be unassimilated and decombinified?
Has Perseus thrown down the gas mask on his own, hung out with his "rebel friends" for a while, had a beer with Barney and then received the "Follow the White Rabbit" call? Next thing he was off, flying to the island, looking for adventure and some Combine butts to kick.

Nesretep wrote:
I can also see it the other way though: you wake up after having been taken out by some unknown pawn and then strapped to the helicopter, only to be dropped off on a secret combine installation and having to fight for your life.

What would make me fight and risk my life? Without additional motivation, I'd hole up on one of the boats and live on leeches and rain water (appropriate for the Famine forum).
If it "ain't love, guv", what about another possibility: the suit is rigged with explosives and can be set to detonate if Minerva doesn't like the provided data or the mission is compromised.

Post subject: Explosives
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:59 pm 
Acolyte

Hmm ...

No ... no, I don't really buy into that theory at all. First of all, it doesn't account for how Minerva got Perseus into the suit in the first place ("Here, come over here and get into this suit that's been rigged with explosives, or I'll set them off"). Second of all, that just doesn't seem to be her style at all. Not that we know much about her at all, but deliberately blowing you up doesn't fit the picture I have of her. Apart from anything else, if she had, I think she would have made more overt threats, especially when she yells at you for running around shooting things instead of focusing on the mission.

In a vaccum of other information, however, I certainly won't discount the love theory. Very interesting ...

Hmm. As I type this, the countdown has reached precisely three days. March 5 2007 at 6:00 PM EST ...

Post subject: A last farewell...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:28 pm 
Scribe

Alas, the countdown has now reached 9h 43m remaining till the end of this run of the forum. Soon all here will be reduced to a mere shadow of its former self. Perhaps we will get another encoded message from Minerva as well?

This last discussion has been great. It was exactly what I intended to have in this topic when I originally created it back during the first run of the Minerva forums. Perhaps when Metastasis is completed we shall gain some more insight into the motivations of our fair Perseus...and maybe even Minerva as well. {cheshire cat grin}

Farewell to you all! I may not be able to post here again before it is all over...so see you on the blogbeast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:27 pm 
Scribe

So long and thanks for all the cheese

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next